Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold two of my old saxes, and I'm looking to replace them with something "new" (to me)...came across an ad for an "early zephyr", but it's engraved "new york" where it would normally say "zephyr"...anyone know what this might be?
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,389 Posts
It's a Voll-Tru II, predecessor to the Zephs.

Refurbished, cleaned repadded....worth perhaps $600....

Interesting horns, very unique tone, kinda breath-y, but not at all like the classic Zeph/S20 tone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that's the one. Thanks. The other ones I was considering was your true tone, a conn transitional, or a zephyr with a 229xxx serial. Tone-wise, I have a late 80's/early 90's selmer usa, which (I was told when I purchased it 30 yrs ago) was essentially the same as their paris horn, just assembled in the US...I've never liked my sound on that horn. I play the true tone with a holton perfected bakelite over metal mouthpiece that's been refaced, and I love the sound. The conn transitional I know has a devoted following. The zephyr, from what I read online, at that serial number was really just a rebadged voll-tru II...although it certainly looks different, with the triple loop for neckstrap. Not sure if it has the double socket neck. https://used.samashmusic.com/product/h-n-white-zephyr/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,389 Posts
Right. The S20-like Zephs (Zoot has one) started at around 250,XXX or so.....those have the body specs which were used on the S20. The VT-II zephs have a significantly different body spec...old-school. Again very nice sounding horn, IMHO, but very 'throwback', pre-bop....really unique and almost 'niche', sonically.
It's just that that seller is way out on his asking price, LOL.
One can easily buy a 'sweet-spot' Zeph for that amount, completely overhauled.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound-wise (I can adapt to ergonomics), how do those horns compare? true-tone to conn transitional to "sweet spot" zephyr? I had a super 20 back in high school for a week or two, until my band / jazz band teacher made me return it...said it sounded too different compared to the rest of the saxes...the weird thing was that it was a really sweet, mellow sound (that I really liked), which is the exact opposite of how I usually see them described. I'm still irritated at him for that.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Right. The S20-like Zephs (Zoot has one) started at around 250,XXX or so.....those have the body specs which were used on the S20.
I do indeed, thanks to you, Jaye! And it's a pretty sweet alto--fast, comfy, and with a really spread and complex tone. Wouldn't call it mellow, though--more like raucous, which suits me just fine, though another (better) player or different setup could likely mellow it out. And I paid far less for it than that old (but admittedly intriguing) King New York.

I'd recommend having JayeLID source a sweet-spot Zephyr (or Conn or TT) and work it up for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up getting a zephyr with a 237k serial... Supposedly before the s20 types, but it has the rounded keywork and moved tonehole location, so it seems like it should be one of the earliest of that group. Should arrive in a week or so. Doesn't look like it has the mouthpiece, but I have a few vintage mouthpieces, so I'm hoping one will work with it. Thanks for the advice / help. I'll post an update when I get it and see how it plays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts