Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how King priced the SML stencil Marigaux relative to the Zephyr and the Super 20? Also, what was the duration of the business relationship between King and SML?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
Not very long, maybe a decade or so, I believe.

You didn't mention Tenor or Alto. A Marigaux Tenor in fine shape goes for around $1600-2000.

I have to say, I had one here a while back...and it was really friggin' superb. Put it next to the two Rev.D's and it stood up to 'em quite nicely (not identical in tone, but just as nice in tone).

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not very long, maybe a decade or so, I believe.

You didn't mention Tenor or Alto. A Marigaux Tenor in fine shape goes for around $1600-2000.

I have to say, I had one here a while back...and it was really friggin' superb. Put it next to the two Rev.D's and it stood up to 'em quite nicely (not identical in tone, but just as nice in tone).
OK, let me clarify...what I meant to ask is about "back in the day"; how did the price of the Marigaux(tenor) compare to the Zephyr and Super 20. More than? less than? same as?

·
872 Posts
Also, what was the duration of the business relationship between King and SML?
I've seen King Marigaux saxes as early as 1968, and SaxPics suggests the last SML saxophones (in 1981) were mostly stenciled for King.

King Musical Instruments was the exclusive distributor for Marigaux clarinets and oboes for a time as well. This probably ended in 1983 when Henkin bought King, if not earlier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I sold them around 1970 and the prices were similar to the S20 BUT it is a whole different animal. More like a Selmer and very good quality. They are not real easy to find but it seems the sopranos come up more often than the altos and the tenors are a bit rare. I would peg a soprano or alto in good condition to go up to $1,500 and tenors closer to $2K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts