Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am primarily a clarinetist, and recently acquired a King Equa-Tru clarinet mouthpiece. Google search brought me here, and saw a few interesting posts, a few which said that the king equa tru sax mouthpieces were made by Lelandais. I do not know if the clarinet mouthpiece I have was made by lelandais, but the baffle and chamber do look like other Lelandais pieces that I have. I am wondering if anyone knows when King made the Equa Tru line of mouthpieces? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
929 Posts
While I've never seen a clarinet version of these, I'd assume they bought all of their blanks from the same place.
Could you take some pictures of it? It wouldn't surprise me if it was a Lelandais, they made a bunch of clarinet mouthpiece blanks back then.
I'm pretty sure your mpc is from the 1940s or 50s though, going by the age of the sax versions of this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are photos

The srcipt on bottom says "King B".

Seems like it might be OK, but its hard for me to test because it is way too open form my liking (120+). Debating whether or not to get it refaced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have a King "Equa-Tru" clarinet mouthpiece just like the one you posted. I recall that it accompanied a King Silver King metal clarinet given to me YEARS ago. From what I was able to determine, my Silver King came from the mid or late 1930's.

Of course, there is no guarantee that the "Equa-Tru" mouthpiece I have was originally issued with the King clarinet I have, but . . .

The markings on my mouthpiece include the hyphen and the quotation marks just as I typed them in this post. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
salzo: I was thinking more about your question . . . the H.N. White Company (makers of King band instruments) still maintains a web-site (at least they did the last time I visited it). Maybe they can answer your question better than any of us. DAVE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts