Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had an old King curvy come into my studio, and know next to nothing about curvys or old Kings.

It is in great shape, no body damage, everything is straight, with very solid mechanics. It was relacquered at some point - I think sometime around 60+ years ago. Pads will need some rehab, but it currently plays well. Came with a Martin a mouthpiece in phenomenal shape, and in a Buescher curvy case that is quite solid. Keyed from Bb to Eb, which really doesn't bother me, as there are other options for the F. Intonation is surprisingly solid, and the tone is quite appealing (at least to me).

Anyways, I have been trying to find out more about it, and run into a snag. The SN (45xxx) puts it before the King model and makes it possibly a Evette Schaeffer stencil (per saxpics), but I can't really find any solid reliable information. I'll have photos posted this evening.

The current owner is pushing for me to either purchase it, or trade a few mouthpieces for it. What do you all think?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Depends on the price. Nice silver ones with good pads max out at about $1,500. These are great curvies, some of the best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Have you looked at the HN White Co.'s website? I don't know if you'll benefit from a visit but if haven't yet been there, it may be interesting to you. DAVE

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the price. Nice silver ones with good pads max out at about $1,500. These are great curvies, some of the best.
This is a relacquered brass horn with pads that need a bit of rehab/replacement.

All told, I could spend less than $500usd.

The current owner really wants to get rid of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Looks like a real KING to me... brown rollers, "abbreviated" G# pinky touch, pointy pad cups, thick soldered tone hole chimneys.. Supposed to be among the best!

I would have guessed a later vintage than 1916 (1930s?), but I know nothing about curvies.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Looks good. You can add some cork under the G# lever to limit the throw as it just keeps going after the key is open. Design foible. If you can get the palm Eb bent up slightly so that it doesn't open the palm D, it will give you an easy route to E, F and above.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll make an offer, then get it to my tech for some much needed TLC.

It's an interesting little horn. Really weird to play since I've been maining on bari, and my other soprano is a modern horn that feels....huge.

The relaq job is really old, and the sloppiness can be easily seen in the sun. Hoping I can get a good deal on it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I wound up pulling the trigger on it.

Seller really wanted to get rid of it, so I got it for next to nothing, then had my tech give it a twice over, and now I have a King Curvy for under $500.

Plays like crazy. Been tons of fun to bring around to jams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts