Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I wonder if anybody has a resource for some King Curtis sheet music like a songbook or something.

I have a excellent Sonny Rollins songbook, and I would love to have one of King Curtis, because I'm hungry for some soul stew ;-)

I tried amazon but no avail..

any help is aprreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,936 Posts
Never seen any such thing. Just listen to the songs and learn them in four-measure segments. 'Memphis Soul Stew' is in 'E' during the opening vamp, then modulates to 'A' (concert keys) for the main song. 'A' is 'B' on tenor, and all chords are major, so play major scale notes except for 7ths. If you have a good sound system you may be able to balance and fade to more or less isolate the sax which is a big help in learning by ear. On this particular number, do this to isolate the drummer (Bernard Purdy) to really hear the incredible and unique beat he goes to after the opening vamp. He's playing offbeats on the bass drum along with a unique rhythm on the snare and cymbals. If you take the drums and bass together, you'll discover the secret to every R&B record. Trying to play songs like this in a band, if you don't have that foundation under you there's no sense in learning the song.
Another factor is to learn by sounds as well as notes. The notes alone are not exciting - it's how he played them. This is a basic rule in this kind of music. I've heard King Curtis do things that I still haven't mastered in 45 years of trying. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never seen any such thing. Just listen to the songs and learn them in four-measure segments. 'Memphis Soul Stew' is in 'E' during the opening vamp, then modulates to 'A' (concert keys) for the main song. 'A' is 'B' on tenor, and all chords are major, so play major scale notes except for 7ths. If you have a good sound system you may be able to balance and fade to more or less isolate the sax which is a big help in learning by ear. On this particular number, do this to isolate the drummer (Bernard Purdy) to really hear the incredible and unique beat he goes to after the opening vamp. He's playing offbeats on the bass drum along with a unique rhythm on the snare and cymbals. If you take the drums and bass together, you'll discover the secret to every R&B record. Trying to play songs like this in a band, if you don't have that foundation under you there's no sense in learning the song.
Another factor is to learn by sounds as well as notes. The notes alone are not exciting - it's how he played them. This is a basic rule in this kind of music. I've heard King Curtis do things that I still haven't mastered in 45 years of trying. :)
thanks saxman...

yeah I wanted the " lazy " approach because I wont have the time for the next 6 weeks to dive so deep into a song... But your right about the sounds, man can he bring a song to life! But I do have a pretty good ear so maybe I can fiddle around a bit keeping your tips in mind. thanks!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curtis Swift of Saxsolos.com has done thousands of transcriptions and I counted something like 44 solos by King Curtis. http://saxsolos.com/ByArtistFtM.html

The standard is usually very good and he emails the solos as pdf files for 50 cents per sheet.

Rhys

Here is a midi I have of it showing all the notes of each instrument. I made a Band-In-The-Box play along from it and using the Forte DXI Plugin it sounds great! You should be able to download it, if you can't let me know and I will send it to you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5305840/Memphis%20Soul%20Stew.MID
thanks guys!!!

that's a real nice midi file! I'm going to extract that solo with sibelius and let my tenor raor ;-)

and thanks for the site too, that will satisfy my future needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts