Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I found a King Cleveland for sale locally. They are asking 399 for it..I can probably talk them down some, but what are these horns worth?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
Raphyel said:
I can probably talk them down some, but what are these horns worth?
Gotta love it. You're not the only one doing this, Raphyel, but it always amuses me to see people that are so eager to lower the price before they even know the value. As a seller, it irks me because I set a reasonable price when I post a for sale offering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
BTW, if you learn that the horn is worth more than they are asking, will you give them the difference? ;)

·
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I wont, because they are a pawn shop..they never give people the value or stuff anyway.

·
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a tenor...It has a pearl accent on the octave fibger rest, and has the keys on the back side of the bell as well. The pads look good, but keys have some scratces and one or the rods is slightly bent. I wish I hadbrought my mouthpiece and tried to play it.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
This conversation does not belong in the HORNS FOR SALE section. I have moved it to ADVICE ON BUYING AND SELLING forum.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,665 Posts
Raphyel -

What model is it? If it just says Cleveland, that is mostly a King student horn, but if it says King on the bell and some number (if any), then it can be one of the old King models.

Bring a camera to the pawn shop and take some pics of the horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,458 Posts
Yeah, the Cleveland model is a student horn and if it were an alto on Ebay, it might get bid up to a couple hundred bucks at best. A tenor might go for double that. As a buyer, don't ever be afraid to negotiate. You offer what you're willing to pay. Should a seller be insulted by that, they don't understand business. Likewise, a buyer shouldn't be insulted if a seller sticks to their price. That's just business too.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
As others have mentioned, Cleveland's were H. N. White's student line. Like their Martin student horn counterparts, these do stand quite a bit above their contemporaries as student horns go. They are generally great sounding and nice players. However they are priced very low in general, to the benefit of the buyer not the seller.

You should be able to pick one up at a very reasonable price, much lower than $399.00 BTW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts