Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Congrats on the new horn. I love the tone and feel of a nice King. If the musty smell permits, you could always try using a small UV ozone lamp. I got one off Amazon for $10, and it killed about 90% of the musty smell on my Toneking alto after repeated applications.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
How did you use the UV ozone unit? The case smells a little, I don't think my horn smells, but maybe. Did you put the UV unit in the case with the horn?
I put the UV light in the (otherwise) empty case, and let it run through its 30-minute cycle several times, re-charging it after every couple of cycles. But it didn't work on the case--the smell remains. I could try additional treatments, but am not sure it's worth the (very small) effort.

It did, however, work well to eliminate the stank on the horn and neck. I put each separately into a sealed plastic bag with the ozone light, put the bag in the garage (to avoid breathing in ozone), activated it while looking away (to avoid being blinded by the UV), and left it for 30 minutes. Repeat several times as needed. The smell diminished completely at first, then a little stench came back eventually as the ozone depleted. But the whole horn now stinks much less and is very playable.

I use the ozone light on used mouthpieces too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts