Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel rather giddy right now, and a bit guilty. Took a chance on a 1963 Cleveland tenor on eBay that was looking very lonely with no reserve and only a couple bidders. Won it for $157. Pads are in great shape and it plays from top to bottom, just as seller said. Playing this for 10 minutes made me miss my old Zephyr! Included the original case (rough), King mouthpiece, lig and cap. And a Keilwerth Jazz 6* piece. The bad? She won't win any beauty contests, that's for sure! Finish is very rough and a few dents I may or may not get removed. The worst part is the musty damp basement smell. I hope this will dissipate over time! Proof that there ARE still bargains to be found on eBay. Seller had very little feedback, pictures were crummy and there was not much positive sale talk in the listing. Sure, I could have got burned, but for $150 I thought the risk was worth it. Now I have to decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just did a similar thing a couple weeks ago...I splurged on mine for a whopping $195. Fitted an ebay $60 neck and this thing is giving my S20 a run for its money...don't ever feel guilty! These old student horns were made with most of the same parts as the pros...

Can you spot the real S20 at first glance?

View attachment 233174

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Agree. An example, my Eastlake Cleveland is my regular, go-to tenor. Every shop loves it, begs me to have it rebuilt, but it doesn't need it. It wails or whispers. Has gold keys too. I've bought some tenors on Ebay for similar prices, similar good good luck. I don't consider anything built prior to 1970 to be a student-only horn, including the lowly Mexican 16M. Homework and diligence pays off.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Congrats on the new horn. I love the tone and feel of a nice King. If the musty smell permits, you could always try using a small UV ozone lamp. I got one off Amazon for $10, and it killed about 90% of the musty smell on my Toneking alto after repeated applications.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How did you use the UV ozone unit? The case smells a little, I don't think my horn smells, but maybe. Did you put the UV unit in the case with the horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Sure, I could have got burned, but for $150 I thought the risk was worth it.
Yeah, to buy horns on Ebay you have know your horns and you have to know your Ebay.
Even then though, it's always a gamble.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had much better luck here on SOTW Marketplace than eBay. The prices aren't as low, but you generally get what you pay for.the fact that this community is kind is small, people are recognizable, and a bad reputation here makes it difficult for someone to get away with a shady transaction. And the folks on here LOVE saxophones!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
How did you use the UV ozone unit? The case smells a little, I don't think my horn smells, but maybe. Did you put the UV unit in the case with the horn?
I put the UV light in the (otherwise) empty case, and let it run through its 30-minute cycle several times, re-charging it after every couple of cycles. But it didn't work on the case--the smell remains. I could try additional treatments, but am not sure it's worth the (very small) effort.

It did, however, work well to eliminate the stank on the horn and neck. I put each separately into a sealed plastic bag with the ozone light, put the bag in the garage (to avoid breathing in ozone), activated it while looking away (to avoid being blinded by the UV), and left it for 30 minutes. Repeat several times as needed. The smell diminished completely at first, then a little stench came back eventually as the ozone depleted. But the whole horn now stinks much less and is very playable.

I use the ozone light on used mouthpieces too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Can you spot the real S20 at first glance?
Yes because the B and Bb are on the other side, Cleveland and 615 are very nice, very cheap horns, if you can find one which need nothing or little work. come the day you need a complete overhaul, that you will have to face some tough decisions to make. However if you truly love it, money plays no role.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts