Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about King "Silver Sonic" and "Full Pearls" Super 20 tenors for awhile now, trying to discern which if either, is valued more highly. So I'll ask here...all things being equal(if that's possible), are "Silver Sonic" Super 20s more valuable or less valuable than so-called "Full Pearls" horns?

Also, is the increase in value of either model due to a perception that one or the other sounds/is better or is it strictly the BLING ?

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, before this goes too far astray, let me say that I'm aware that a "Full Pearls Silver Sonic" is the most coveted King S20. As for not being able to play "the shine", yeah that's a truism for sure but I am curious as to whether SOTW folks think either of these special features are signifiers of a better sounding or playing horn...

So my question is this... Which would you rather own/play, a "Full Pearls" or a "Silver Sonic" Super 20?
Maybe i can turn this into a poll...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Full pearls are of an earlier vintage of Kings, so there are a few other variables to consider such as double vs. single socket neck, spatula key config etc. Silver-Sonics pretty much cover the whole ouput of Super 20's. A late King Cleveland 385-415k is probably a decent chioce. The market is soft on horns on right now, so you might be able to get what you want without breaking the bank. Have you ever spent any time with a Super 20 Tenor ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
There are rare super Superr 20 silversonic with both And silversonic And full pearls ..........

·
Banned
585 Posts
Hi, rare thing for me to get a signal? this time of day. All my playin daze i have wanted a " Super 20 ". One day. Had a few zephys; the zephyr bari was amazing. My primary horn for a couple of years, until it got squashed. Any chance some 20 owners could put up some pics? More bling the better. I doubt it makes a difference tonewise? but it sure looks good. Thanks....a

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have no experience with the Silver Sonic horns but it you take the bell outta' the picture, I would prefer the late Cleveland horns. My Zephyr is a 352XXX and the Super 20 is a 372XXX. They both sound great but the left hand pinky keys on the Super 20 are far superior. Some day when I have the $, a super 20 alto will replace the Zephyr.

So.......if full pearls are only available in the earlier series of super 20, I would forgo them to get the better mechanism in a late double socket horn.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Mr. Foster..hi. Now that is one beautiful tenor. Truly stunning man. I gotta check out your band...thankyou...a

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Full pearls are of an earlier vintage of Kings, so there are a few other variables to consider such as double vs. single socket neck, spatula key config etc. Silver-Sonics pretty much cover the whole ouput of Super 20's. A late King Cleveland 385-415k is probably a decent chioce. The market is soft on horns on right now, so you might be able to get what you want without breaking the bank. Have you ever spent any time with a Super 20 Tenor ?
OK...to set the record straight, I have a S20 tenor. I'm not looking...just askin'.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no problem with playing a horn that plays well and looks great as well. Granted you can't play the pearls, but you can enjoy looking at them.

unhhh... I'm feeling weak...turn off the Kryptonite!

Nice pair of full pearl Silver Sonics...Series IA alto and Series II tenor...?

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A 308 alto and a 305 tenor. Both Series II according to Saxpics.
I can't see completely but looks like the Series I/Ia action on the alto. (The B/Bb "axle" is on the bell, right?).

The tenor looks like the "modern" action(Series II), with the B/Bb on long rods/axles that run from the table down to a post on the body. (ala Selmer) Regardless, that's some serious Bling. Any thoughts as to how your tenor compares to other S20s?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have no problem with playing a horn that plays well and looks great as well. Granted you can't play the pearls, but you can enjoy looking at them.

Turnaround is the King of King Bling!
This is the ultimate as far as I am concerned:

Full pearls X
Double socket neck X
Silver neck X
Silver Bell X
Gold Inlay X
Improved mechanism X
Soldered Tone holes X

So..............all of this was available at the beginning of the second series of Super 20's? Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

·
3,697 Posts
I can't see completely but looks like the Series I/Ia action on the alto. (The B/Bb "axle" is on the bell, right?).

The tenor looks like the "modern" action(Series II), with the B/Bb on long rods/axles that run from the table down to a post on the body. (ala Selmer) Regardless, that's some serious Bling. Any thoughts as to how your tenor compares to other S20s?
They both have the "modern" action left to right swinging spatula keys. I actually traded a S20 316 and some extra for the tenor. The S20 had a more raucous sound, and the intonation was less locked in, but the action was higher. This tenor is dead on. I've recorded it many times and the producers sometimes insist on auto-tuning. Most of the time, it's dead on. The tone is more versatile than the S20. With my Berg 130/0/SMS, I can hang and be heard over a Marshall cab. At shows, I usually see the soundman jumping for the pre when my solo starts, and I'm back about a foot. With my 103 TK Norberto, it's totally jazz.

The alto is a bit more unforgiving. Key height is higher than I'd like. Intonation is great until I get excited. The low end on both horns is incredible. I like playing the alto, but I had a Series I that was the King tonally. But it had lower key height. I will get this one lowered soon and I think it will be perfect.

And the case for the alto is PRISTINE!!

·
Banned
585 Posts
Turnaround...oh maaan; i am delighted to see these two. Absolutley beautiful. Alto is not my thing....but man.Gotta redouble my efforts....one fine day i too will own one. Thanks man...a. ( I think this thread should be a permanent fixture )...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turnaround is the King of King Bling!
This is the ultimate as far as I am concerned:

Full pearls X
Double socket neck X
Silver neck X
Silver Bell X
Gold Inlay X
Improved mechanism X
Soldered Tone holes X

So..............all of this was available at the beginning of the second series of Super 20's? Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Other option was the tenor red and black combination case that include a clarinet case a sophisticate flute holder. Do you have it? If yes, we both have all of this king bling! Mine is a 343XXX
Thank for posting!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts