Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,763 Posts
"Good point about resale Jaye. Vingtage horns appreciate, new horns depreciate (esp. the Chinese ones)."

^ The last part of this is an old (WW-)wives tale -- people repeat it constantly and think it's true, because it's repeated so often, but it's actually false. If you go to eBay and crunch the numbers on the major ROC brands (you can't do this yet for PRC brands on eBay, because you just won't find many BW or similar level PRC brands being resold there, yet), you will find that the top (e.g. Cannonball, P. Mauriat, etc.) ROC brands actually depreciate LESS than Selmer, Yanagisawa and Yamaha pro models, and MUCH LESS than Yamaha and Selmer student models -- this applies to horns purchased new.

As far as brands like Bauhaus Walstein, you will really tend only to find documented sales on this board, in the Marketplace area, and if you actually watch the resale prices they hold more (by percentage!) of their original value than Selmer, on average.

I realize this is counterintuitive, to most people, because you hear the same refrain repeated so often you just believe it, blind. If you actually note resale prices, you'll see everything I say here is true. If you were to do a ranking of resale depreciation, you'd find the best values (when purchased new) followed an order something like this (from best to worst):

- Cannonball
- Bauhaus Walstein
- Keilwerth Student (ROC)
- Selmer
- Yamaha
- Keilwerth
- Yamaha Student
- Selmer Student

Don't take my word for it. Go crunch the numbers for yourself. (I did not include my line there, as I'm only aware of one resale, at about 50% of original cost, which is in the same class as Selmer/Yamaha/Yanagisawa).

As far as King 615s, Bauhaus Walstein and my Crescent line will both crush it -- absolutely smash it to bits in very area (tone, intonation, build -- every area).

A mentor of mine in NOLA had a 615, so I am very familiar with them, although I have never bought or resold them because they're just not in the class of saxophones I'd buy or sell. This will offend people would would sell them, I'm just telling it like it is.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,763 Posts
I have a circa 1970 King Cleveland alto....it cost me $300 to refurb it when I took it out of storage a few years ago. Still looks and sounds great. I think my $300 was well spent compared to a Chinese horn that has no long term track record
I seriously doubt you can get any dependable new saxophone without problems (now or soon to come) for $300 or less. My cost is higher than that, and even if someone bought from a quality factory in larger numbers to get a lower wholesale there would be very little profit margin, there, if any.

artstove - that's only about new saxophones, and it's just to correct a misperception (because it's completely wrong), repeated ad nauseum on this forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts