Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips on as to how to get around the middle D shifting to high, only on the rare occasion can I hit that note as it should be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,780 Posts
what do you mean? middle D is on the low hand. High D is on the left hand palm key. You close both hands untile the ring finger of the right hand. Then you release that hand and squeeze your D palm key while keeping the octave key depressed.

Regardless, there is nothing special about the King 613 about these notes they are exactly in the same position as they are on any other saxophone, so, if there is a problem it has nothing to do with your horn being a King 613. Shifting from middle D to High D, will not be more difficult or special on a King 613 than it would be on any other sax.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Anyone have any tips on as to how to get around the middle D shifting to high, only on the rare occasion can I hit that note as it should be.
1. Just to confirm, by "middle D" you mean the D on the fourth line of the staff, correct? That's how we normally refer to D2 on a saxophone, but any poster might have his/her own terminology.

2. By "shifting to high," what do you mean? The note comes out as an overtone rather than the D itself? If that's the problem, you could have a leak somewhere. You also could have a problem with a sticky lower octave vent pad that won't open fast enough when you attempt to play the D. This can cause a squeak or overtone. Finally, you might have a fingering problem, i.e., you don't get all the fingers of both hands down at the same time.

By the way, I played a King 613 alto long ago, and still have the horn on loan to a family member, but I agree with milandro that the exact model of sax probably has nothing to do with your problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,780 Posts
ok, so this is about the D being unstable and going to the first overtone (octave)?

A leak may be the reason of this but also a mouthpiece that isn’t pushed in far enough or a finger being touching another key that gets minutely open, equalling a leak. But it not a 613 specific issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,029 Posts
If it is D2, the problem may be that the neck octave key is opening along with the body octave pip. Only the body pip should open for D2 up to G#2 and only the neck pip for A2 and up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all...problem solved, it occured when sounding the "D2", sorry I am not up on all the sax terninologies just yet. I called it middle as in the D on the staff. Anyway, problem was a weak spring on the octave neck key. Tweaked it a little and the issue went away. Thanks again!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,029 Posts
Getting the springs to coordinate is always a problem. To test, you can play A2>D2, A2>A1, D2>A2, etc. to make sure the correct pad is opening and closing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a tech to find the leak or mis-regulation...and 'disappear' it :mrgreen:
I would if I could afford it... but most techs want your first born, in my case she would be 37...vintage one could say and he ain't getting her, she now has a family!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,948 Posts
Sounds like you solved it.

You know...typically (and maybe it isn't like this in your locale) a tech will give a free estimate .....and if it's a relatively quick fix to an acute problem, such as one which requires apiece of regulating material, bending a keycup, adjusting spring tension, attending to a sticky pad, etc...you can get out of there for around $25-50. If he/she finds multiple leaks or maladies, that's another story.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The first horn I ever owned was a 613 alto. Bought it about 20 years ago, never swabbed it or had it serviced, and played it till the pads rotted out. Still have it, but it's unplayable and not worth repadding, sadly. I treat my horns better now.

It feels and sounds a lot like the sweet 1950 Zephyr alto that you sold me, Jaye, if not nearly as comfy or solid. The 613 has a rotated upper stack, and I prefer inline tone holes. Lots of family resemblances though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts