Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have played at this local pub 2-4x a month for about 8 years. Last week the owner comes out and says we’re too loud- for the first time in 8 years! Out of concern over losing the gig, the rhythm section played significantly softer this week and I loved it! (I play saxophone, flute and vocals). I feel guilty but I’m glad some customer complained last week. Does that make me a bad person??

·
Registered
769 Posts
Not at all. As a sax player , you have to love it when they tell the band to tone down sometimes. I have played gigs Outside where they told us the band was too loud. When I am blowing my guts out and can hardly hear what I am doing, I appreciate it when someone keeps it real in the audience.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Interesting timing. Just last week we were walking past a hotel that had an open outdoor courtyard and a live band was playing. There was a brick wall fence and hedges so we couldn’t see the band. They sounded pretty good. But they were very loud - that was on the other side of the wall. About 1/2 to 1 block away they sounded really nice. I started thinking that the people in the courtyard were surrounded on 3 sides by the tall building. I remember thinking - am I getting old? Cuz I started wondering if people in the courtyard were really enjoying a good band, or just enduring it. Sometimes a bit less probably is a bit more, even if this one goes to 11…

·
Registered
557 Posts
They can all understand that vocalists need to hear themselves, but rhythm section players often don't realize that horn players need to hear themselves the same way, otherwise we play like dog %^&*(). I bet flute is really challenging in that respect.

Now that someone did you a favor, the hard part will be to keep the volume from going up just a little bit each night until it's back to where it was...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, I find it makes you a bad person if you come to the pub on gig night and complain that there is music. But I know that this is something that could never be openly addressed since the inevitable reaction of the publican will be to shut down gig night in order to appease his or her drinking patrons.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
733 Posts
Sound volume is always a problem. I really dislike hearing the stage over the top of the mains; it happens often. There is more nuance in playing a little quieter, even in louder pieces.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Simply because one customer complained one time does not necessarily mean that you are too loud. There's always one person.....

Reactions: Roundmidnite

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
9,048 Posts
I have expensive vintage saxophones, mouthpieces, reeds aren’t cheap and I’m at the mercy of a sound man who was probably a drummer or guitar player.
‘What could possibly go wrong?
I value my gigs where there’s not a microphone or guitar player in sight.
Oh man, I love playing 'on the air' as I call it, with no mic, where you can hear the acoustics of the room and appreciate your actual sound.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Important to see the Gig from the audience perspective: Do they wanna dance, talk, listen....

Too loud, soft? Songs they can connect to? Talk to the audience or Just Play? Long Jazz Solos or stay closer to the Song. ...

Reactions: Roundmidnite

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
"Simply because one customer complained one time does not necessarily mean that you are too loud. There's always one person....."
Also true....

·
Registered
Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Eastar soprano- Morgan 4, Eastrock tenor-Gigliotti
336 Posts
I don't understand the super loud concerts. It must have started with rock n roll shows. I have left a number of good shows because I couldn't take the volume, at a certain point it doesn't sound good and as the show goes on and your ears start fatiguing the sound guy turns it up even more. Had to leave Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin show because it felt like the kick drum was going to stop my heart. Would be quite happy if subwoofers had never been invented. Had the most luck with good sound at jazz shows, Yoshi's in Oakland has consistently sounded great.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
That's possible, but it's more likely that for every one person who complains there are ten that are just enduring it till they choke down their meal and escape.
Possible but not provable unless you take an exit survey.

Reactions: JayeLID

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
6,584 Posts
When I’m doing a gig and don’t like the volumn. I’ll tell the band someone complained. Can they turn down ?? Nothing wrong if it’s my lungs vrs your dials I ve made up “complaints “ more than once. K

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,777 Posts
Out of concern over losing the gig, the rhythm section played significantly softer this week and I loved it! (I play saxophone, flute and vocals). I feel guilty but I’m glad some customer complained last week. Does that make me a bad person??
No, it doesn't make you a bad person at all. That customer did you & the band a favor.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts