Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the original equipment neck on my Selmer Mk 6 134xxx tenor was "OK" (using Navarro HR Maestra 7* mp) , I was looking for more projection and core and curious whether a different neck could help. I just finished testing 4 of the Kim Bock necks - over a very generous test period- playing them in a variety of situations - big band, small group ensemble, several locations. Per Kims recommendations after talking with him, he sent me the Vanguard neck in bronze, and hammered copper; as well as the Redwood neck in brass, and hammered copper. I had to travel during the one week test period, and Kim graciously extended my test period.
Impressions: All offered improvement in performance compared to my original equipment neck (and some others I previously tried). Specifically, low B/Bb and altissimo easier and more secure, better core to my sound, upper register (e.g. sustained C, C# and palm keys) more stable. For me the Redwood had more spread, while the Vanguard had greater focus - and the hammered copper- to my surpise- was a bit more free blowing in comparison with the bronze. I'm not sure that was due to material and the working of the copper, or just small variations in the bore. Interestingly, the Redwood and Vanguard necks did not seem better than the original neck on my backup Yanagisawa T880, although to be fair I didn't request a neck designed for the Yana.
Also, as others on this forum have pointed out Kim is a stand-up guy, and great to do business with. Bottom line: Well worth the price; worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts