Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a B&H "Oxford" tenor in a local sale as a birthday gift to myself. Oxford is the Canadian version of the Edgware, a Kohlert Bixley stencil from the ’60’s or ’70’s, which is apparently identical to the Regent model but for a high F# and other minor variations in keywork. I’ve had my eye on this model of tenor for a while now, as I have the alto version as a backup to my 1950 Zephyr. It’s a comfortable and solidly built horn, with a great big Bohemian tone tamed by a nice focus and projection, and can usually be had dirt cheap.

This tenor was suitably cheap and dirty--I bought it out the back of a van in a parking lot on a cold, late winter’s day. So you can imagine how stoked I was to find an old mouthpiece in the case, along with the original strap and some very old reeds.

Now, I’m no vintage Link expert: until now, I’ve only played modern metal and HR Links (and have always found them stuffy). But this looks at first blush to be a Florida no USA STM 4*. Is that a safe guess? Could I really have got that lucky on my birthday?

I guess it could also be a later or transitional model, as it came with an original Link “T” ligature with screw cast support, which I had thought only came out with the USA models. Or maybe they ran out of the earlier ligs at some point, or the original owner replaced it later.

The Link measures in at around .080, which is more closed than I’m used to, but it played very easily in my brief play test. Haven’t yet had the chance to really put this baby through its paces, but can’t wait!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Good Score, Zoot!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,952 Posts
Dude you got one good birthday present, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love the stores you shop at too. And is to make sure I am asking if you are keeping the Academy. No I don’t need another alto. I still can’t believe you found a link in that case. Yahoo!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! It did indeed feel like a birthday gift from the universe. Of sax. The saxoverse.

As for my barn-find "Academy" alto (JK Tone King stencil), I'm keeping it for now, PigSquealer. It has a great tone and I'd like to work with it a bit, now that the musty barn smell has diminished. But its spot in the refurb queue has just been bumped by this Kohlert tenor, which needs a neck cork and a few pads replaced. Otherwise, it's a straight and clean horn with snappy keys, a nicely aged honey lacquer, and just a bit of a wave in the bell rim.

The question is whether to keep this serendipitous Florida Link, or pass it on to another player. I'll have to spend some time with it on all my tenors, especially my TH&C, to see how it plays for me.

·
3,952 Posts
An awesome gift and well worth playing around with if nothing else for the experience. Love that hard candy treat:smilebox: :headbang:
LOL,I have more in repair line than working. Dream BIG ! Good thing there’s not a Van store around here.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have more in repair line than working. Dream BIG ! Good thing there’s not a Van store around here.
Good to know I'm not the only one with a backlog of horn repairs. As for the van, it's mobile, so y'never know when it might visit your hood, PS. It puts the gas into GAS.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Nice score on the case candy.

I’ve been lucky like that twice myself. First was an Otto Link Joe Allard model with JA on face that came with a buescher series 1 aristocrat, then next was a Dukoff that came with an older True Tone sop.

Still have the Joe Allard, but sold the Dukoff.

·
3,952 Posts
Good to know I'm not the only one with a backlog of horn repairs. As for the van, it's mobile, so y'never know when it might visit your hood, PS. It puts the gas into GAS.
Lol I wouldn’t be surprised if half the members here have didn’t have at least one project horn laying around.
I’ll keep an eye out for the candy man van. If get anymore GAS the wife will probably throw me out the window.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly, my gf was skeptical when I first proposed buying yet another backup horn, but came around when she realized it was bundled with such a rare extra.

·
3,952 Posts
Interestingly, my gf was skeptical when I first proposed buying yet another backup horn, but came around when she realized it was bundled with such a rare extra.
Play her something nice on it. No matter what don’t stop to comment or comment good or bad later. You will validate your purchase and wisdom of good decision making. Extra points.....GF will love to hear you play just for her...on the new toy.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to bringing my new-found B&H Oxford (Kohlert Bixley) tenor into my tech. He agreed that it's straight and solid, with evidence of just a touch of impact on the bell-body brace. Some of the pads look original, with rivets and a metal rim. He'll replace a half dozen or so of them (with Selmer pads) and add a neck cork to get her into playing condition.

If this horn plays half as well as my Oxford alto, I'll be very happy. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been working on new material for a show, so haven't had much chance to trial my recently acquired Kohlert tenor, but just picked it up for the first time in weeks. The metal mouthpieces I'm lately loving on my TH&C (vintage Berg, Mojo Vortex) produced warbles on the Kohlert's G1 and bell keys, even though the horn's just been adjusted and partially repadded. My go-to TK Acoustimer sounded full and dark, but not great in the altissimo (my own limitation).

Then I slapped on my D'Addario Select Jazz HR, a recent birthday gift. It played clear, lush, and semi-bright, with nice edge and decent altissimo, and as always, the lower register is particularly rich. I'm guessing it's down to the chamber size, but for whatever reason, this piece is a nice fit for the Kohlert.

If I can get used to the ergos (which are more modern but less comfy than my Buescher), it'll be my new backup horn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts