Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for this post, Michael! Back in those times I also used that piezo pickup by Barcus Barry you had to stick to the reed Ian is using in the video. I hated it for its sound.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the sound Ian is getting Dr Sax. I think with these vintage electronics you either love it not. I'm not interested in amplifying the natural horn sounds..good quality mics are best for that ..I love the bug for itself. I had one of those back in the day. I wish I still had it. cheers

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the link. Great Underwood. Liked George Duke there as well. I was hoping Ponty would take a solo. I saw Zappa several times abut a year later but he had a very different band by then. I remember in those days, Frank would know where he was and instead of singing "I can make more money as a butcher" at the end, he would reference some local large employer. Great stuff.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd not like being shipwrecked on a desert island but if I was I would like my early Mothers albums up to and including Hot Rats. I love those records and all the musicians especially Ian, Bunk Gardener and Motorhead. Never get tired of them. I'm not really bothered about much after that..maybe Chungas Revenge although I still got anything with Ian on...Frank didn't use him much it seemed in the comedy group for example with the Turtles.. I just bought Playground Physycotics from this era and it's pretty disposable then this wonderful clarinet piece comes out of nowhere ( Ian) and is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts