Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto, JL Woodwinds neck, Theo Wanne Durga 3 in a 6, Legere American Cut 2.25
109 Posts
Simple, a Player's horn has been played a lot, and a killer horn is wanted for murder.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my 1960 mk6 fell off a chair and after 15 years keywork sounded like a type writer had it overhauled 30 years ago keep original domes and to shop twice a year since.
if i sold it what would i have? its the one that is missing in Roberto's collection. it fits me and gives me everything i could ask for. not for sale.!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,523 Posts
Speaking of killer horns, I was in Tim’s Music in Sacramento last week and they have an original lacquer MarkVI 76,xxx listed for $10,500. I was trying out some modern horns and a ‘killer’ Super 20 tenor. I passed right by the Selmer. No way I’d pay that much for a sax unless I was making my living with it or if I were a collector. I’m neither. But if anyone’s interested you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say that Mark VI's are great horns. I have heard ones that are better than others, but never a "bad" one. One player sounds great, another not as good on the same sax. If you can, try 'em before you buy 'em.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
"KILLER" Horns......

Anyone else get tired of seeing this posted in every other for sale ad. What does that actually mean anyways other than you think the horn is good? Anyone care to define "killer horn?" I've bought a couple of these and everyone around me is still alive and well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,651 Posts
Re: "KILLER" Horns......

Indeed you are not the only one, there have been several threads before showing their (add myself to the plethora) dismay about the lack of fantasy when it comes to definitions

This is another thread with the same title ( just started in February this year and you contributed to that thread with several posts), there are more threads on such things (maybe it would be a good idea to keep threads together)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?351728-Killer-horns

I might be showing my natural cynicism, but how come every Mk VI for sale is a "killer" horn, a "players" horn, amazing player etc.? Bearing in mind it appears that the consensus is that there are generally some less than great VI's out there, how come there are never any of these for sale? It's irrelevant to me, as prices are at a level that I would never pay, even if I had the money. I wonder how many are so desperate to own one that they buy unplayed, and are disappointed. I have no wish to cause offence to any owners, but how refreshing it would be to read a for sale ad which described a horn as being honestly not that great, and at a price which reflected that. Maybe any VI can be made great by a skilled tech? Let the debate begin ?!
Monster is another abused definition not to speak about all the ads that present their horn as being as good as or better than another more famous and expensive brand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,543 Posts

Didnt you know that they kill you slowly due to the lead content in brass ? :mrgreen:

Before you die they reduce your metal capacity to where you use such descriptions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,543 Posts

There are multiple studies to ssugges 9 of 10 people do not fact check what the read and over 30 percent believe what they read on the internet

Maybe these sellers are not so stupid unless you are in the know vs a possible majority...depending on the study.

so talk is not cheap if you are willing tonset aside taste, class, and ethics

·
Registered
70 Posts

There are multiple studies to ssugges 9 of 10 people do not fact check what the read and over 30 percent believe what they read on the internet

Maybe these sellers are not so stupid unless you are in the know vs a possible majority...depending on the study.

so talk is not cheap if you are willing tonset aside taste, class, and ethics
This is true.. unfortunate but true. I've tried many of "the best horn I've ever played" from sellers that have been rubbish. Personal taste comes into it, but there are a bunch of horn dealers that can't even play in the first place, let alone give you an accurate representation of a good horn (or mpc etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,239 Posts

I tend to see it as an "Americanism" (sorry guys). I'm going through classified ads and forums in France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy, and rarely read such childish video-game-ish expressions. "Biniou mortel" could be a French version, it just sounds ridiculous, and won't convey any confidence. Not gonna try the German or Italian counterparts ... What is quite common here in ads are signs of ignorance or scams. Sometimes for stolen horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,651 Posts

" Average" Killer horn for sale, you won't be killed in any exceptional way, you'll die normally ( not that it makes any difference an instant after your been killed).

"Average", killer saxophones.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts