Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I stopped by the local shop, and leave it to me to pick a day when the place was busy with kids getting ready for school. Clarinets, flutes, and then there was one kid who asked the clerk if he could try out a nice looking alto that was hanging on the wall. You know, with that cool faux weathered look. But it was marked $3200, and it was Chinese. I mean a legitimate, well known company. But three grand for an alto? This is the same store where I bought a great, reconditioned Martin for $700 not so long ago. With a Meyers Bros NY in the case. (which I admit is just dumb luck.)

I really had an urge to say something, but the kid was there with his mom and grandmom, looking happy as a clam. And another clerk told me the store had been taken over by a chain, and they no longer handled used instruments of any kind, let alone vintage. So I grabbed my box of reeds and kept it to myself. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If everybody just bought and sold vintage horns like most of us on this board do, all sax makers would go out of business. I'm all for as many people as possible paying as much as the market will bear. I'll keep happily playing my 50 year old, $250 horn. Nobody listens anyway when you tell them the truth, that it ain't the horn, it's the player. So let them try to buy their way to perfection. Keeps the music business alive.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keeps the music business alive.
you're right, of course. with some fair degree of prejudice on my part. (brass instruments are an unusual situation, being relatively indestructable with little in the way of significant technological advance, so that a substantial vintage/used resource is readily available. but i'm sure that any number of these modern horns from relatively newer production locations are top drawer and destined as future collectibles.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts