Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I am a Cannonball fan.
But, I've been playing my Custom Z more lately. When you go from horn to horn , the ergonomics will definitely be a little different. But after not having played my CB for about 2 months, I picked it up and hated the key lay out. It seemed very wide and awkward. I don't ever remember thinking that before.
I mention this because I vaguely remember that CB had made some adjustments to the keywork in the last couple of years. My Big Bell is from about 2001. Does anyone know if the keywork changed significantly since then, the Stone Series maybe? I still love the horn, and I know if I played it for a week, I wouldn't think about the key layout. But I was just curious if they had changed/updated it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I sold both my Z's on ebay even though I lost money, I am happier with my Hotspur tenor and Raven alto then the Yamaha's. I find the fingering layout to be quick and very smooth. The big sound and effortless response is awesome!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I have a Z and Big Bell tenor...the key layout is about as different as it gets on modern horns. When I first got the CB BB I had been playing my Super 20 a lot. The CB felt great...the layout was similar to the S20, but much quicker and smoother. I hated the Z at first, but it has grown on me and now it's awkward to go back and forth. Play the CB for three days, however, and you will love it again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, the keyworks are as different as they get, but I'm sure you'll get use to the switching

1 - 4 of 4 Posts