Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if I can ask anyone that has owned or played these two horns if there are any big difference in the keywork specially on the Left Master Key (Pinky).

I currently owned a 1939 Balanced Action which I really love, the sound is impressive, very free blowing and I would not trade it for anything, although, the Master Key table drives me nuts, specially G#.

I never played a Super Action but I saw pictures and it looks like the keys are a little closer to the other keys and more similar to the Mark VI keywork.

Can any experts advise?

Thanks !!!

Best,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
Yes, the Super Action was definitely a transition to what the MK VI would be. Interesting that you know the correct name of the Super Action when everybody and their brother call it the 'Super Balanced Action' - that's impressive.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I don’t think the left hand pinkie table changed much between BA and Super Action. They hadn’t introduced the floating lever yet.
I prefer the feel of the BA myself. The right hand position takes a little getting used to coming from a Mark VI.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the Super Action was definitely a transition to what the MK VI would be. Interesting that you know the correct name of the Super Action when everybody and their brother call it the 'Super Balanced Action' - that's impressive.
Thanks. Yes, I know the real names of the horns and I don't like them to call all Super Balanced Actions when in reality they are different models.

It will be good if everyone name them properly, but that doesn't happen for some reason. I know that some dealers put the word "Balanced" between quotes to the Super Action models.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think the left hand pinkie table changed much between BA and Super Action. They hadn’t introduced the floating lever yet.
I prefer the feel of the BA myself. The right hand position takes a little getting used to coming from a Mark VI.
Believe it or not there are some differences. I have a Mk VI and a Ref.54 and both keyworks are alike and comfortable, the BA Master key is very closed to the body rather than closer to the other keys so it requires an extra effort, nothing crazy but, not the best ergo in my opinion that is why I was asking about the SA vs BA.

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts