Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just noticed some of my keys, in particular :line2: sharp and :space2:look worn and have lost their "shinyness". Is this normal? I wasn't sure if it was because I used some of that weird invisible plaster spray on my left fore finger which may have caused a weird chemical reaction :faceinpalm:
Is there anything I can do to restore it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Could be a reaction. Could be damp storage. Could be your sweat.

Is it silver plated? Try cleaning the key with some lighter fluid or white spirit then give it a rub with a silver polishing cloth. That should sort it.
If it's nickel plate it may need a bit more work. Either way, it isn't going to stop the instrument playing so not too much to worry about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have clarinets with silver and nickel keywork. The silver will tarnish, the nickel will lose its luster. Comparing the two, I found the new nickel to be very slippery - sometimes a good thing and sometimes a not-so-good thing. I kinda liked the feel of the new nickel keywork, but after the luster was gone on another clarinet, it felt similar to silver. I recall other threads about reviving nickel-luster, but don't recall the method. Frankly, it didn't matter much. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Nickel can be polished up. It takes a bit more work than polishing silver. You don't want polish getting on your instrument though as it's an abrasive that can get in the mechanism and cause wear or rust. A repairer will remove the keys to polish them and then wach them to remove any polish residues.

Nickel silver is more prone to going dull. You tend not to see too many with bare nickel silver keys these days. It's often the metal keys are made from which is then plated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, my beloved old Selmer 10S Bflat has lost most of the silver on its keys and looks tired. But I was adviced not to use silver polish as it could make it worse as it was the silver plate wearing off the nickel keys.

It is apparently the result of acidic/salty sweat on yr fingers corroding the surface. There is not a lot you can do. Wipe away any verdigris (yes, mine did grow green fur as well) and put it down to being a well used friend.

Lesley

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Patches where regular contact has worn the plating off keys is very common nowadays, because manufacturers are skimping with their plating, using a decorative" thickness rather than a "durable" thickness, which is far thicker.

A prime culprit is guess who.... Buffet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts