Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key Leaves in Canada

Exchange rates and shipping can sometimes make items inconvenient to bring to Canada. If you’re looking for Key Leaves in Canada, St. John’s has them, at least the alto/tenor/bari models. Not yet the soprano model.

I bought them for my alto a couple of weeks ago and here are my thoughts.

Before Key Leaves, my C# would stick badly. In the past I’ve asked my tech shop to see if they can increase the spring strength on C# which they did, but, it would stick. Even after ‘unsticking’ (pull open the key) during play, a slight delay would occur playing the C#, almost like a grace note C before the C# would pop out.

After a couple of weeks using Key Leaves, the sticking did go away. I can press down on the C# key with my hand and it won’t stick. So, from that point of view, they work as advertised .

As for the question ‘Are they worth it?” There seems to be two paths to look at.

1) If you look at only the product and the price, it might be hard to justify. After all, it is a small piece of rubber that you might be able to craft yourself out of cork or whatever, at a lower price.

2) I look at it as solving a problem. In my view $20 to solve this problem is easily justifiable. Sure, I could try and make my own of of cork or whatever but fact is, I didn’t and won’t. Even if I did, it wouldn’t look as nice. To me, paying $20 to alleviate this annoyance of sticking C# is well worth it.

Would I buy it again? Yes, and I’m trying to. My soprano doesn’t stick on the C# but rather G#. My local music store is trying to get the soprano Key Leaves in and I’ll pick one up when I can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Key Leaves are sax props that let your pads air out so they don't stick. They can be used for alto, Tenor and Bari saxophones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I just ordered my KeyLeaves prop from the manufacturer at $25 US plus shipping. It comes to $43 CDN and I will probably get stuck with GST on delivery, making it around $50 total. So I don't know how BruceW got it for only $20 in Winnipeg. You got a good deal I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are probably right, captain blowhard, but some of us have money to burn and are susceptible to any company who dares to cater to a risky niche market like saxophone players who actually pay attention to boutique mouthpieces, refacers, after-market vintage mouthpieces, Klangbogens, heavy mass neck screws, custom necks, select reeds, custom horns, etc. Should we support these people? How about folks who sell jazz improv exercise material on-line? Are they worth supporting? Neff? Bobby Stern? Price? Fishman?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
. . . at $25 US plus shipping. It comes to $43 CDN and I will probably get stuck with GST on delivery, making it around $50 total.
It's true of almost everything. Metalites cost nearly twice as much, and even that old Pan Am or Buescher stencil for US$200 at auction can end up closer to CA$500 after conversion, shipping, duty and taxes (which Americans who shop in Canada can claim back at the border).

Saxes just cost more up here, especially if you're into the vintage stuff. At least we don't pay duty on SeaWind horns or Legeres, and can even get a slight break on some Canadian-made audio equipment, like Radial boxes or Paradigm speakers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts