Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recommendations for key risers? I got a set from wwbw that are just molded silicon and they are absolutely horrible. They are spongy, they fall off constantly, and overall don’t do what they are supposed to do. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Anybody have any recommendations for key risers? I got a set from wwbw that are just molded silicon and they are absolutely horrible. They are spongy, they fall off constantly, and overall don’t do what they are supposed to do. Thanks in advance!

Music Medic makes some nice risers. You have to fit them to your horn though and they are not cheap. If you are handy with a Dremel Tool and can use epoxy, go for it. I use them on my D and Eb keys.

https://musicmedic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=risers

If you search the forum for "key risers" you'll get a bunch of info on alternative materials.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made my key risers out of cork and stuck them on the palm keys.
The material is easy to work and feels comfortable.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts

I don't think the rubber ones are worth a dime.

I have a lot of palm key risers on different horns. Mostly I've used cork, attached with a good grade epoxy and then shaped to fit with razor blades, sandpaper, etc. I have also occasionally used a filled epoxy putty, some variety of which you can find at any hardware store. I have usually made a little collar of masking tape around the key, then filled it up with the epoxy material, then after it's set up you peel the masking tape off and form the epoxy to shape using razor blades, files, sandpaper, etc.

I suppose the epoxy would theoretically be more durable than the cork, but I have cork risers on my baritone, the sax I play the most, that were on there when I bought it in 1984, and they're still on there and seem not to have deteriorated. So I would not rate "durability of cork key risers" as much of a concern.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Epoxy is cheap and you can customize the fit yourself so that the three palm keys feel perfect FOR YOU.
I really don’t know why anyone would buy key risers that are already formed that you just put on, unless its because you don't want to mess up the lacquer on the palm keys with gluing cork or using epoxy. There’s no way they’re going to feel perfect for everybody. Doing it yourself is super easy and super inexpensive. It doesn’t take long for them to dry, and you can use any nail polish you want to make them look the way you want.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Music Medic makes some nice risers. You have to fit them to your horn though and they are not cheap. If you are handy with a Dremel Tool and can use epoxy, go for it. I use them on my D and Eb keys.

https://musicmedic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=risers

If you search the forum for "key risers" you'll get a bunch of info on alternative materials.
Don't he music medic ones just slide on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Epoxy is cheap and you can customize the fit yourself so that the three palm keys feel perfect to you. I really don’t know why anyone would buy key risers that are already formed that you just put on? There’s no way they’re going to feel perfect for everybody. Doing it yourself is super easy and super inexpensive. It doesn’t take long for them to dry, and you can use any nail polish you want to make them look the way you want.
Any videos or tips for doing this? Epoxy around my $4k saxophone makes me nervous haha.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Don't he music medic ones just slide on?

No, they have to be fit and epoxyed on. I've used homemade cork risers in the past. I just prefer the feel of the MM risers. They look pretty good too if you care about that sort of thing. To each, his own.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I found that the cheapest black rubber ones are fine for me. I was given the translucent rubber ones and they were awful: spongy, sticky, kept falling off. The black ones fit better and haven't fallen off yet. Now they're not particularly stylish, but that ain't my thing. They work and were cheap/easy.

I have seen cork before and they looked simple enough to do, epoxy obviously is a thing too. I am with you though, near my horn, I'm scared to mess anything up!

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Oleg ones are absolutely the way to go. They screw on easily (1-2 min install) and you'll have them forever because you can take them off if you sell the horn.
I‘ve read somewhere that the leave a mark where the have been screwed on the horn, though. And they’re expensive.

Sugru works really well, too. Fairly inexpensive, you don’t need any tools and it does not leave any marks if you remove it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Any videos or tips for doing this? Epoxy around my $4k saxophone makes me nervous haha.

Well, my silver plated 1946 Conn 12M would probably go for around $4k these days; I also have epoxied risers onto my $6000 bass sax and something similar on my $4000 Miyazawa flute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I found that the cheapest black rubber ones are fine for me. I was given the translucent rubber ones and they were awful: spongy, sticky, kept falling off. The black ones fit better and haven't fallen off yet. Now they're not particularly stylish, but that ain't my thing. They work and were cheap/easy.

I have seen cork before and they looked simple enough to do, epoxy obviously is a thing too. I am with you though, near my horn, I'm scared to mess anything up!
I use the black rubber ones too. Little bit of quick set epoxy and they have never fallen off.

Same with my thumb Rest cushion.

I like the softer feel on those keys. But it's not squishy.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I second the recommendation of Sugru and/or epoxy putty. I've used both and each works very well.

Sugru takes a bit longer to set, but is better if you prefer a softer feel (like that of the black rubber slip-on ones). The epoxy sets more rapidly and is better if you prefer a hard and/or slick surface.

The key if using epoxy putty is to first wrap your key in saran wrap. Form the riser as you want it, and let it set. Then, remove the riser and the saran wrap and reattach the riser using contact cement.

This makes it easy to later remove the riser without marring the key.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I use the black rubber ones too. Little bit of quick set epoxy and they have never fallen off.

Same with my thumb Rest cushion.

I like the softer feel on those keys. But it's not squishy.
The problem with simply epoxying the black rubber ones is that they are actually made of (latex) rubber, and not silicone (like Sugru). As a result, they are not a good long term solution (I've tried this).

They start out great, but like most latex rubber, they eventually start to turn sticky and dry rot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I second the recommendation of Sugru and/or epoxy putty. I've used both and each works very well.

Sugru takes a bit longer to set, but is better if you prefer a softer feel (like that of the black rubber slip-on ones). The epoxy sets more rapidly and is better if you prefer a hard and/or slick surface.

The key if using epoxy putty is to first wrap your key in saran wrap. Form the riser as you want it, and let it set. Then, remove the riser and the saran wrap and reattach the riser using contact cement.

This makes it easy to later remove the riser without marring the key.
Thanks for the info, Michael. I think I might give this a try! As long as it is removable.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
+1 for the Olegs. You can find them used here for discounted pricing or on ebay as you are correct, they are quite expensive new. It is quite nice to be able to move them around to find the positioning you enjoy or if you want to switch them from horn to horn, but they don't fit on every horn so just do some research before buying and check the compatibility with your brand/model of horn. Sugru is also great for molding your own preferred shape and size of riser

1 - 20 of 41 Posts