Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think would be the correct key heights on a tt alto (tt with a roller g/front f)? I seriously hope that some experienced players and true tone owners/repair man will answer.. thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
What are you trying to "solve" by altering venting? What kind of MPC are you using? reeds? there's not "one correct" venting chart (although somebody posted a factory spec venting chart not long ago, search for true tone soprano key height)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply. I am trying to have an alto in its perfect playing condition). Perfect in terms of tone, intonation and resistance. I have Vandoren a27, selmer soloist style d, stm 6.
I just expect that some experienced player who is satisfied with his tt and its venting will share some measurements (for example left hand - B, A, G, right hand F, E).
I have that chart that you've mentioned and it's nearly perfect (i had nearly come to the same results by myself...) but for some notes - my a1 is flat 10cent. And i;ve already cut all the cork on the G - body octave. Maybe i should replace the body octave pad for one that is thinner? Or are all the other key heights too high maybe?) excuse my english..

·
4,507 Posts
the chart is in 1/32ths. If you try to vent by the chart measuring in milimeters you're 25% off on the too open side (1/32" is roughly 0.8mm)

on the G issue, is the G pearl way below the A pearl when both ae closed? Meaning, it's kind of like the feel of a modern yamaha or other makes, where your left hand ring finger is loer than the middle finger? Perhaps the G key needs to be bent a little for get a correct vent height

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry, i don't understand your explanation.. for example the chart says: for alto buescher B - 29, F - 42. So that means in mm..?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i've understood. If the chart says 42 then i should: 42*2.54*0.08? Right? (It would be 8.5mm for F in right hand)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the chart figure for F (alto buescher) is 42. If I do 42*0.8 it would be 33.6. So the opening for alto F would be 33.6 mm? hm... I think it's not right) I don't undestand something. Please explain

·
4,507 Posts
No, that chart is expressed in decimal inches. 42 would be .420 * 25.4 = 10.6 mm

wich is large for an alto, unless you measure from the tone hole to the edge of the padcup, not straight to the seat impresison on the pad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jicaino, can you give a link to the chart that is in 1/32ths? or simply measure the openings (to the seat) on a tt alto that plays well?

·
4,507 Posts
It's been a while since I worked on a TT alto... Not today, not tomorrow, but during the week I can dig out one TT alto and see what kind of key heights I'd recommend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you very much. Maybe I should ask someone else (by PM) to post their measurements here so we can compare them? Whom do you recommend?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,119 Posts
Trust Jicaino as he is the expert on these.
Another factor to consider is that these early horns often need to be set at a certain height to enable the G key octave pip changeover to work and the 1+1 Bb to operate. If the keywork is set too open, there will be play in the keywork at some point causing lost motion and clicking. Even more so on sopranos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts