Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a H Couf Superba I Bari and I looking for a spatula extension so that I can reach the C#/B/Bb key a little easier. I checked out Oleg'a products but I'm not sure if they will work. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,947 Posts
Describe the issue more specifically....is it that you have to really 'reach' your pinky to hit those keys ??? Or is it that the touches are too small and you'd prefer more surface area on 'em ?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Describe the issue more specifically....is it that you have to really 'reach' your pinky to hit those keys ??? Or is it that the touches are too small and you'd prefer more surface area on 'em ?
My issue is that I have to stretch my pinky to reach those keys.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I have the Bb table key enhancer and it doesn't help much with reach though it helps a bit with leverage. The first thing I'd try would be to have a tech bend the keys upwards (towards the top of the horn) as much as possible. This probably won't buy you much but every little bit helps. I find, if you have smaller hands, there is a fair amount of hand movement with all baris when using those table keys and you just need to get used to it since it will never feel like a tenor or alto if that's what you are used to. The Yani and Yamaha baris have the shortest reach in my experience and their keywork in general feels lighter and quicker to me as well so not only is the reach a bit shorter but less force is also required to close the keys which for me is as important as the reach. I haven't tried the Bb Lever Link that attaches between the C# and Bb table keys. That may help a bit though it also may make the C#-B transition more difficult. If you decide to go for that please post your finding as I'd be curious about that one myself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Bb table key enhancer and it doesn't help much with reach though it helps a bit with leverage. The first thing I'd try would be to have a tech bend the keys upwards (towards the top of the horn) as much as possible. This probably won't buy you much but every little bit helps. I find, if you have smaller hands, there is a fair amount of hand movement with all baris when using those table keys and you just need to get used to it since it will never feel like a tenor or alto if that's what you are used to. The Yani and Yamaha baris have the shortest reach in my experience and their keywork in general feels lighter and quicker to me as well so not only is the reach a bit shorter but less force is also required to close the keys which for me is as important as the reach. I haven't tried the Bb Lever Link that attaches between the C# and Bb table keys. That may help a bit though it also may make the C#-B transition more difficult. If you decide to go for that please post your finding as I'd be curious about that one myself.
Thanks for the advice. I've recently switched to bari. I mostly played soprano, so some of it is just me getting used to using these keys more often. My hands are average and my fingers are long, but the reach is different, like you said, on bari. I ordered a used set of Oleg key enhancers for $40, which includes 4 different key enhancers. If they don't work I can always sell them.

In addition to my H Couf, I also have a Conn 12M and the pinky table is layed out differently, I won't say it's easier to work, it's just a different layout since the keys are in a straight line under the G#. I would prefer it be that way versus the Bb being at the bottom of the pinky table.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've recently switched to bari. I mostly played soprano, so some of it is just me getting used to using these keys more often. My hands are average and my fingers are long, but the reach is different, like you said, on bari. I ordered a used set of Oleg key enhancers for $40, which includes 4 different key enhancers. If they don't work I can always sell them.

In addition to my H Couf, I also have a Conn 12M and the pinky table is layed out differently, I won't say it's easier to work, it's just a different layout since the keys are in a straight line under the G#. I would prefer it be that way versus the Bb being at the bottom of the pinky table.
That's a really great price for those - where did you get them so cheap? They usually start at around $60 each.

I have relatively small hands and can't deal well with the vintage baris at all. I had a The Martin for a while and that was the best of the bunch for me but the amount of force the table keys on those old baris require is too much for me. I was saving money to buy a Couf Low Bb bari that had been listed here in the SOTW marketplace for a few years back between 2010-2012 and I just about had enough $$ and someone else bought it. I figured it would be along time before another Couf Bb bari in that good a condition came up for sale so when the Barone Low Bb came along I jumped on it. So far I've been very pleased with this horn as the keywork is nearly as good as my Yani and the sound is very flexible. The only thing I could see giving it up for would be a vintage Selmer bari and I'm not sure I can justify the cost of one of those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts