Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had one for 6 years and love it. Just out of curiosity I checked to see if there were any on eBay and there were none. That, I believe, should tell you something. A used Kessler bari for sale is a 'unicorn'.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Well I don't think there are all that many of them out there but, yeah, they don't come up used very often and when they do they don't last long. I suspect for many folks that have these it doesn't make sense to sell them even if they aren't getting played much. You probably can't get more than $1500-$1700 for a used one because anyone willing to pay much more than that would probably just buy a new one and there's nothing else out there in the same class for that kind of money. So unless you really need the money you're just as likely to hang on to it as sell it.

It also wouldn't surprise me if these change hands privately and don't ever show up here, Ebay, or Reverb. I know a few alto/tenor guys who would love to pickup a good playing Low A bari for $1500ish so if I had one of these I wanted to sell I probably wouldn't have to list it.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Well I don't think there are all that many of them out there but, yeah, they don't come up used very often and when they do they don't last long. I suspect for many folks that have these it doesn't make sense to sell them even if they aren't getting played much. You probably can't get more than $1500-$1700 for a used one because anyone willing to pay much more than that would probably just buy a new one and there's nothing else out there in the same class for that kind of money. So unless you really need the money you're just as likely to hang on to it as sell it.
Yes, "value" instruments, for which as much pricing fat as possible already has been trimmed from the distribution chain, tend not to have busy used markets. (1) As KeithL mentions, unless the seller is just going to give the horn away, brand-new instruments will be significant competition, and probably a simpler option for many buyers. (2) Unless the seller is giving up playing, what's the replacement horn going to be? You now have a buying fund consisting of 67% of the price of an instrument that was 50% of the price of competing models to begin with?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts