Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have played this mouthpiece, can you share some feedback on it . I did do a search and there was not much about it. If you have played one, please share some feedback such as tone, projection and favored reeds on it . thanks

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I don't know that you're going to find a lot of folks who have tried these since they are mostly offered by Kessler's as an upgrade to the cheaper tenor pieces that would normally come with their horns. I can't answer questions about reeds and projection since I only played the thing in the store for about 15 minutes with one reed. I would say it plays like a well faced HR piece in the "Link style". I remember thinking it may have had a bit more baffle and maybe a slightly smaller throat/chamber than a modern Link TE more like an STM but it was a long time ago. In general the piece played well with a much better response than any modern rubber Link I had played. I probably would have purchased one but I have several nice HR pieces already and I really prefer metal tenor pieces.

If you are looking to get a nice playing HR piece these are a very good value. Dave has them faced by a local guy there in Vegas and he does a pretty good job on them. You could spend a lot more money and a lot more time shopping around and not get a piece that is substantially better.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KeithL thanks for your feedback. I was thinking this might be a good piece for low volume quieter type gigs with a Link type sound and approach, didn't know if it would do as well in a loud blues band type context .

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
KeithL thanks for your feedback. I was thinking this might be a good piece for low volume quieter type gigs with a Link type sound and approach, didn't know if it would do as well in a loud blues band type context .
Yeah - I think you're very safe with it for that purpose. Some guys could play this piece on rock and R&B gigs, especially if they were miked, but it would be too much work for me. The real advantage is that you get a nice playing hard rubber piece that's pretty versatile without having to go through a whole pile of Links until you find one that plays well. Occasionally Tim has some Links at Sax Alley refaced by Phil Engleman or Bob Carpenter for just a bit more that would also be very good value in terms of the new piece with a light custom reface job. Otherwise it isn't easy to find a new piece that's been touched-up with a flat table and balanced rails for under $200.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KeithL again thanks for your time and feedback. I know what you mean about some guys playing Links and Link like pieces in louder situations, I have heard many live and some people sound great on them. It all depends on the mic and sound system for sure, and how the player blows the piece . I tend to need a baffled piece to play in these louder situations but still love the sound of a good Link . Thanks again for the info, good to know and it sounds like an under rated good piece to try

1 - 5 of 5 Posts