Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:

My son has been playing sax for 12 years. He is now in college and will be playing jazz ensembles, concerts and also doing some gigs with his own group.

He currently uses a yamaha 23 (alto).
I want to get him a gift before he graduates. My budget is around 750-1000.00.

Any suggestions to a exc. intermediate or beginner pro type horn?
I have seena few posts on the kessler custom, but if I can get a better used horn for same price range I would certainly look into it.

Thanks very much
carla

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,109 Posts
Yanagisawa 901's are great as are the older 8XX series horns. If you keep your eye out you can find used ones in the $1000 range easily. If he likes vintage horns there are number of opportunities but for modern keywork it'll be hard to beat the yani's.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
If he is in College, I would probably go with a modern horn. Ebay, and cragslist are a great place to look, ofcourse once you know what you are looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
The advantage of buying Kessler's Custom over a used eBay, or other online source, horn is that it is brand new and comes with an iron-clad warranty. I think this is an important consideration for someone not familiar with the danger signs to look for when buying used instruments.

You might find a very attractive used horn on one of the auction sites and discover upon receipt that it needs significant repairs which would not make for the best gift until repairs were made and paid for. There are a lot of horns available in your price range on eBay, but there's always a risk when going for one of them. I think the risk is mitigated, somewhat, when buying from a veteran SOTW member with a forum community reputation for honest dealing.

Rob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,109 Posts
Forum member 10Mfan had a Yanagisawa 901 for sale earlier this year at $995. Don't know if he sold it, but you might drop him a message about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Id go for the used semi pro option. Especially if this is for college duties, Kesslers are good value, but you never know the sort of snobery that may be encountered.

Remember if buying from an unknown source, you may have to factor in some money for a technician to get it in prime shape. A recently overhauled pro or semi pro horn would be a good find. Did see a Canonball go for $700 as an ebay buy it now horn, but like the Kessler the same name brand snobbery might apply. The best bet might be just to offer him the money and send him out to find a horn that he likes, its so hard to buy for someone else.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am also going to browse thru the market place here. This is certainly a great place to find so much info!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Carla: You posted the same question in another thread, but without this detailed info. I (and Canadian) crafted responses there. Double-posting is forbidden, for this very reason. DAVE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts