Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know who makes the Kessler Custom mouthpieces for them? I’ll assume they don’t have a mouthpiece manufacturing shop in their back room.
I just grabbed one off eBay marked 7+2 which is I guess means 7**.
I liked the look of the baffle and chamber and took a chance, at $65, to try it.
it plays surprisingly better than a lot of things I’ve tried that are five times the price.
‘it’s not important, but I just wondered where they outsource their stuff from. Somebody who works at Kessler knows their ****.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they are made in Asia, as his saxes are, I’d venture to guess the Kessler is a decent sax.
I’ll try emailing him.
As I said, it’s not important but it plays really well and I figured a 7** is kind of a recent thing that was probably a special order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,519 Posts
Wow, taking me back a while, iirc, from the wayback machine, I had Kessler's OL 50 mouthpiece come with my Kessler tenor and Dave said they were Babbit blanks with some hand finish fine tuning by someone at Kessler's .
But do call or email to verify the provenance. While I've migrated to metal mouthpieces, I still have the Kessler mpc in my small stable of mpcs...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I used to have a Kessler soprano mouthpiece years ago for a short time and I remember it was engraved "made in USA". My memory could be wrong on this.....

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I use a Kessler Custom Modern Classical baritone mouthpiece, and it's quite satisfactory. Nicely finished. I bought it because, frankly, it was available at a discount when buying a bari from them. I wanted a quality, middle-of-the-road classical piece, and that's exactly what I got, and at a low price to boot.

·
3,006 Posts
I received a Kessler NY alto piece with a horn I purchased a few years ago and I was surprised at how well it played. It played better than most of my much more expensive alto mouthpieces. I still use it as a back up to my Ted Klum.

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received a Kessler NY alto piece with a horn I purchased a few years ago and I was surprised at how well it played. It played better than most of my much more expensive alto mouthpieces. I still use it as a back up to my Ted Klum.
The tenor piece plays a lot better than the one Klum I tried. I’ll never buy one of those again.
‘Severely overpriced for a dull mouthpiece.

·
3,006 Posts
The tenor piece plays a lot better than the one Klum I tried. I’ll never buy one of those again.
‘Severely overpriced for a dull mouthpiece.
Interesting. Come to think of it, the Klum is my main piece because it's a little "dull". On alto, for solo work I like a dry, without dark or bright coming through at all and I can imagine that a lot of people might think of it as dull. I like that it can be pushed to do whatever I want but if I lay back, it is kind of dull or extremely dry. Kind of like a Konitz sound with less wobble. LOL.
I've never tried a Klum tenor.

·
1,412 Posts
Anybody know who makes the Kessler Custom mouthpieces for them? I’ll assume they don’t have a mouthpiece manufacturing shop in their back room.
I just grabbed one off eBay marked 7+2 which is I guess means 7**.
I liked the look of the baffle and chamber and took a chance, at $65, to try it.
it plays surprisingly better than a lot of things I’ve tried that are five times the price.
‘it’s not important, but I just wondered where they outsource their stuff from. Somebody who works at Kessler knows their ****.
These are well made generic blanks from JJ Babbitt. Good stuff

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,649 Posts
Do not know who faces them. There is a local player that has been playing on a Kessler tenor piece for years that he prefers over his valuable HR Slant Sig Link he has had for 35+ years and he sounds fantastic on it. Beautiful fat, warm tone with a little edge.

·
1,412 Posts
Do not know who faces them. There is a local player that has been playing on a Kessler tenor piece for years that he prefers over his valuable HR Slant Sig Link he has had for 35+ years and he sounds fantastic on it. Beautiful fat, warm tone with a little edge.
[/QUOT
This work is done at the factory at JJ Babbitt. They have a machine that applies a facing curve and finishers that detail the tip and baffle area. Very good value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts