Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m a recreational Bari and trumpet player looking to buy a tenor from the two above. Something simple but good enough for home playing.
Kessler is 5 years old and serviced well by a responsible older player.
Saxophone.com horn is 2 years old and also in great shape.
Both are around the same money $600

I don’t really care about resale value and this horn isn’t toting to see outside of the home or lessons playing. Condition of each appears on par with the other.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for typos above. I know these are both Taiwanese horns and from what I can tell essentially the same build quality etc. just not sure if there is a leg up on one or the other.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i would go with sax.com the owner is a member here..always better to try them both out if possible,let us know what u get

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I haven't tried either horn, but I do own a Kessler Custom Handmade tenor and I love it. Assuming they both have been recently serviced and pads still have plenty of life in them, I would expect either would meet your needs. If it's possible to play each one and compare, that would be your best bet.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hi, I’m a recreational Bari and trumpet player looking to buy a tenor from the two above. Something simple but good enough for home playing.
Kessler is 5 years old and serviced well by a responsible older player.
Saxophone.com horn is 2 years old and also in great shape.
Both are around the same money $600

I don’t really care about resale value and this horn isn’t toting to see outside of the home or lessons playing. Condition of each appears on par with the other.
Kessler is made in Vietnam, not Taiwan. Get the one made in Taiwan. Phil Barone

·
Registered
68 Posts
get a sax from phil...cant go wrong with a barone I've been wanting one myself i did just get a saxophone.com tenor because i got it cheap will let u know how it plays should get here this weekend I've had taiwanese horns i had a p mauriat pmxa sold it because i tried an accent same horn half the price

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i was only able to play test the saxophone.com tenor (the Kessler was not local) and i have to say this is a VERY impressive horn for what i need/want...and so i bought it!

Link to what i got...
https://saxophone.com/store#!/Saxop...-Model-TS85-642UP/p/17092920/category=3612520

First of all, it is built extremely well! The horn is two years old, not very used at all by the clarinetist i bought it from (he went to alto, as he said the tenor was 'too heavy'?>> i guess when used to a clarinet...).
Of course i would love to say i own a Selmer Mark IV or an Yani but i honestly don't need that level of horn as i only play at home for fun. I am a trumpet player who just can't practice as much any more and wanted an instrument with a bit more leeway, and sax has done that. The bari is fun for funky, punchy things but the tenor lets me play all my trumpet music (mostly NOLA stuff is what i like) and get lots of melodic enjoyment.
I am sooooo impressed by everything about this saxophone.com tenor, it is built much much better than my Jupiter bari, the case is fantastic, everything just great quality.
This is a raw red brass model and is stunningly vintage.

I collect vintage trumpets and love the old build quality, this sax reminds me of that level. My ear isn't good enough (nor am i to do enough about) pitch across the sax, but its honestly better than i need.
Kudos to Garrett for designing such wonderful instruments!

Btw, the guy i got it from has a saxontheweb.com alto that is essentially brand new. He bought it, and his dad passed and left him his Selmer! It has less than 6 months spotted play time. He's asking $500. I would have snagged it if i thought i would have been let back in my house (which i would have after my wife hit me over the head with hit i guess). Anyway, its amazing, located in Queens, if anyone is interested.

So now the question of the hour....i need a GOOD mpc for the tenor without going nuts.
For Bari i play a Jody Jazz 7, soon to be a Durga 3 just because, but don't want to spend anywhere near either of those for tenor but need something other than the crummy Yamaha 5C i bought by default just to get going.
Any suggestions? Selmer 80C?

Thanks to all for advice!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
So i was only able to play test the saxophone.com tenor (the Kessler was not local) and i have to say this is a VERY impressive horn for what i need/want...and so i bought it!

Link to what i got...
https://saxophone.com/store#!/Saxop...-Model-TS85-642UP/p/17092920/category=3612520

First of all, it is built extremely well! The horn is two years old, not very used at all by the clarinetist i bought it from (he went to alto, as he said the tenor was 'too heavy'?>> i guess when used to a clarinet...).
Of course i would love to say i own a Selmer Mark IV or an Yani but i honestly don't need that level of horn as i only play at home for fun. I am a trumpet player who just can't practice as much any more and wanted an instrument with a bit more leeway, and sax has done that. The bari is fun for funky, punchy things but the tenor lets me play all my trumpet music (mostly NOLA stuff is what i like) and get lots of melodic enjoyment.
I am sooooo impressed by everything about this saxophone.com tenor, it is built much much better than my Jupiter bari, the case is fantastic, everything just great quality.
This is a raw red brass model and is stunningly vintage.

I collect vintage trumpets and love the old build quality, this sax reminds me of that level. My ear isn't good enough (nor am i to do enough about) pitch across the sax, but its honestly better than i need.
Kudos to Garrett for designing such wonderful instruments!

Btw, the guy i got it from has a saxontheweb.com alto that is essentially brand new. He bought it, and his dad passed and left him his Selmer! It has less than 6 months spotted play time. He's asking $500. I would have snagged it if i thought i would have been let back in my house (which i would have after my wife hit me over the head with hit i guess). Anyway, its amazing, located in Queens, if anyone is interested.

So now the question of the hour....i need a GOOD mpc for the tenor without going nuts.
For Bari i play a Jody Jazz 7, soon to be a Durga 3 just because, but don't want to spend anywhere near either of those for tenor but need something other than the crummy Yamaha 5C i bought by default just to get going.
Any suggestions? Selmer 80C?

Thanks to all for advice!
Okay so very nice, you don’t know what you’re talking about so just tell me what you had for lunch. Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts