Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back in to playing after a +/- 12 year hiatus and I plan on buying a tenor with the help of this years tax return. Something middle of the road as I don't plan on turning pro, and I know if go back to a starter model I will definatly regret it every time I play. So with the help and advise of fellow SOTW members and many informative posts I think I've settled on what I'd like to buy. From what I can gather Kessler and Sons has a very good reputation, but I don't think they produce this sax. Mearly stamp there name on it. If anybody has any experience with this particular model please enlighten me before I make the leap.

Here's the URL:
http://www.kesslermusic.com/KesslerCustomSax/TenorBFL.htm

Oh, and I do plan on the mpc upgrade.

Thanks,
:line1: :line4:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
They have a glowing reputation, for a NEW horn they cant be beat at that price. For the same money you might pick up a bargain for a real "pro" horn. I guess it depends how important new is to you.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
I play a Kessler tenor. It is my main workhorse, it gets at least 40 hours of playing time a week. I must say that I am impressed considering how hard I work this horn that is has held up pretty well. It is a taiwan made horn, and it holds its own with much more expensive horns on the market. I tried this horn in Kesslers shop along with the Selmer Reference models, and all of the Yanagisawa models and it outplayed both selmers and the lower of the Yanagisawas. Infact, the OL7Pro mouthpiece isn't bad either, just not my thing.

You might also consider a YTS-23, while labled as a "student" model, it is built like a rock and plays very nicely. It can also be found for a very nice price.

·
3,310 Posts
edbird79 said:
New isn't important at all. If you know of somthing better please let me know. :)
For $1000 the field can be pretty wide open in the vintage or older pro model market.

People have been known to pick up Vintage Conns and Martins or Yanagasiwas or Yamaha YTS 62s for that sort of money. Its a world of choice potentially. Saw a top of the line Cannonball tenor sell for 960on ebay just today.

The marketplace here is full of good saxes in that price range.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160

·
3,310 Posts
rispoli said:
I am the winning bidder and am so surprised by how low it went. It's a Raven but not so well "marketed" by the seller.
Worries me that comes with a gig bag....
Good Work. Fingers crossed for you!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
You won't go wrong with a Kessler horn. I bought a Custom Deluxe tenor with the 50OL7 mouthpiece last January so I've had about 5 months with it. It's fully lived up to my expectations. While I don't abuse it :D like saxymanzach (though I wish I could!! :) ) I'm encouraged to hear that it's holding up as well as I anticipated under such conditions.

Some folks are set on getting a vintage horn. Might take you a bit to find what you're looking for so be prepared for delayed gratification although, around here chances are, the delay will be minimal. Lots of good deals surface and you get lots of very good advice. For a new horn however, you'd be hard pressed to beat the quality, value, and relationship with Kessler!

Good luck and happy shopping!

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
Several years ago I got a Kessler bari for a guy. It actually played okay. One ugly thing happened - the Selmer-style RH thumb rest only looked like a Selmer - instead of being mechanically locked to the mounting plate, the threaded stud was only soft-soldered to it! This lasted about one time of adjusting the thumbhook then tightening to secure it. I marked it where he wanted it then epoxied it into place. It's been working ever since - of course it is no longer adjustable. Now, obviously Dave Kessler has made many changes in his specs for his horns, and the Taiwan factories (or maybe China, for all we know) hopefully are no longer doing stupid stuff like that. I just mentioned it as an example of how a really good-looking, gold-plated saxophone can still have some very messed-up stuff in it. The other thing that bothers me about Kessler is he doesn't have secure on-line buying - you have to give them a card number on the phone. I haven't done this in years. I want to buy a Selmer neck from him but I won't do it because of this. As far as I'm concerned, If I can't buy it with my 'mouse', it doesn't exist. Even on his ebay auctions there's no PayPal or anything, and he doesn't take personal checks, even with an extended wait for it to clear. You have to either do the phone or fax thing or send him a money order. Hey Dave! Get in the game!

·
14,268 Posts
I bought a Kessler Custom tenor from Dave a while back - I called him on the phone and he shipped it out to me. It included his branded mouthpiece. I am NOT a tenor player but this one was the best of those I'd tried over a year's time (a new Yamaha Z and a Cannonball something or other). Plus the mouthpiece was the best I'd tried.

I then took the horn back to his store after a few months and his dad tweaked the hi-F to eliminate a leak. They also changed out the thumb hook to a later design that felt MUCH better to me.

I have no trouble dealing with this store, either on the phone or in person. DAVE

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been reading through a ton of old threads on this forum searching for a soprano sax, and Kessler's line has very positive reviews.

One thing though, don't rely on email, you absolutely must call the store.

·
5,444 Posts
I learned NOT to rely on email in my professional business dealings as well! I've been burnt too many times by email in time critical activities :(. Just because you've sent them an email doesn't mean you've communicated with someone.

I've read of a couple folks having problems emailing Kessler. I didn't experience that. Dave and I exchanged several emails regarding his horns, Selmer, Antigua, and Unison a in relatively short time, say over a week or so before I bought the Custom Deluxe tenor. I liked finalizing the deal over the phone with Chuck. Another point of view and a sanity check for me! :) At least provided a voice to associate a with the emails. Now, if I could just finagle a business trip out there I'd like to visit their shop, meet them, and go over my horn, etc... :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
1saxman said:
Several years ago I got a Kessler bari for a guy. It actually played okay. One ugly thing happened - the Selmer-style RH thumb rest only looked like a Selmer - instead of being mechanically locked to the mounting plate, the threaded stud was only soft-soldered to it! This lasted about one time of adjusting the thumbhook then tightening to secure it. I marked it where he wanted it then epoxied it into place. It's been working ever since - of course it is no longer adjustable. Now, obviously Dave Kessler has made many changes in his specs for his horns, and the Taiwan factories (or maybe China, for all we know) hopefully are no longer doing stupid stuff like that. I just mentioned it as an example of how a really good-looking, gold-plated saxophone can still have some very messed-up stuff in it. The other thing that bothers me about Kessler is he doesn't have secure on-line buying - you have to give them a card number on the phone. I haven't done this in years. I want to buy a Selmer neck from him but I won't do it because of this. As far as I'm concerned, If I can't buy it with my 'mouse', it doesn't exist. Even on his ebay auctions there's no PayPal or anything, and he doesn't take personal checks, even with an extended wait for it to clear. You have to either do the phone or fax thing or send him a money order. Hey Dave! Get in the game!
The bari you mention was from a completely different factory then what we buy from now (the one you bought was stamped C.R.Kessler). All of my "Kessler Custom" horns have stayed through 1 manufacturing company.

As for the online processing, I personally differ with you on the stance. On-line processing is many times not as secure as some believe. Also the sheer aspect of fraudulent purchases when an online system is used is much greater... compared to only 2 that I have had in over 5 years. So I do it for my security as a small business owner.

However, I am talking with Wells Fargo about setting up an online processing system... so perhaps soon...

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've also heard good things about the Kesslers, but have never had a chance to play one on my own. Most people I've seen talk about them have been extremely positive.

I also recommend you take a look at http://www.doctorsax.biz
He's got some pretty fair vintage horns in and he's a respectful guy as a seller.

Also, check out JunkDude. I've never bought from him, but he comes highly recommended.

However, if you want new, at that price point, Kessler can't be beat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also bought a Kessler Custom Deluxe tenor from Dave and have been very happy with it. I still love my Mark VII, but the Kessler horn gets just as much playing time and has held up well. Can't beat the price for a new horn and Kessler is great to deal with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts