Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KG's Human Nature solo into Miles' trumpet mic, from the Miles In Paris DVD, is fairly well-known amongst Those Folks Who Care -- but this one, recorded 2 years before it in Warsaw, is new to me, and provides a nice contrast.

First, we get to see Kenny's hair, which is a change of pace. Second, since Miles doesn't have to be The Amazing Human Mic Stand, he gets to go to his keyboard and stab out an occasional weirdo chord, which KG then responds to, occasionally goin' purdy far out there.

Check it out: Miles Davis in Concert ( Kenny Garrett solo )

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
Great lesson in how to build a solo!

I want Kenny's shirt.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Nice- Kenny is amazing! I think his tone is darker and has more presence on the "Live in Paris" recording. Could just be the sound system, or perhaps it has something to do with that crazy shirt he is wearing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think his tone is darker and has more presence on the "Live in Paris" recording. Could just be the sound system, or perhaps it has something to do with that crazy shirt he is wearing.
I think this particular YouTube is taken off a TV broadcast, so the sound ain't what it is from the Live in Paris DVD. The playing though, as noted, is amazing, and the shirt is indisputably his shirt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts