Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising around on eBay and found this cheap
9BF2149E-1542-40F2-BE13-11BB491FC16D.jpg

Curiosity got the better of me, so I bid on it. No one else did, so ...
11833120-B987-486D-9018-E8CE8DC56BDD.jpg

The description in the box says “The inside chamber is patterned after many of the traditional great playing soprano saxophones of the past.” It’s definitely not a Dukoff ( that’s his other model )
F4CBE3F8-22E7-4433-92EE-F10D907BA96D.jpg

No idea what the facing is, the literature just says it’s Kenny’s favorite
305D3C22-97AD-457C-8960-92B3AC4D4BDD.jpg

It actually doesn’t play badly. And the ligature covers up the logo if you’re too embarrassed for anyone to know what you’re playing
F6CD7AB9-C34B-42EC-8D3E-7DE03FCBA673.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,299 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe this mouthpiece shown in the photos was part of the overall effort to market a Taiwanese (or maybe even mainland China) soprano saxophone a few years ago with Kenny G's name on it. I played two of them at the NAMM Show that year. They were styled after the MKVI Selmer but with regular saxophone-like palm keys. They were expensive. Kenny G was there at the booth. DAVE

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,745 Posts
It highly resembles a Soprano Planet 'Missing Link', at least from what I have seen here so far. If it has a hint of a baffle break in the rollover it is at least a copy.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a guess, but maybe this mouthpiece shown in the photos was part of the overall effort to market a Taiwanese (or maybe even mainland China) soprano saxophone a few years ago with Kenny G's name on it. I played two of them at the NAMM Show that year. They were styled after the MKVI Selmer but with regular saxophone-like palm keys. They were expensive. Kenny G was there at the booth. DAVE
You mean one of these?
BBEC3830-FC49-48F3-BE23-B952E67CC0C0.jpg DBFBBD77-BBDB-4AB3-8FD5-94AB878D36F6.jpg

They are still being made and sold online. Rheuben Allen helped develop the horns and source the production facilities. I believe they went through several mainland Chinese factories before going with Chateau out of Taiwan.
I played the latest generation top line horns at Music China last fall and they are seriously good instruments.

It highly resembles a Soprano Planet 'Missing Link', at least from what I have seen here so far. If it has a hint of a baffle break in the rollover it is at least a copy.
I’ve never seen a Soprano Planet piece, so I’ve no basis for comparison. There is the slightest rollover:
64B80E9E-8988-4917-B74D-0F6E649DFB15.jpg A8A6D779-EC61-4C6F-9A30-9097B38E2B1A.jpg B4D8D133-18C6-4CEB-AEF2-3B5FCDC95343.jpg

·
14,299 Posts
Yes, those photos look like what I saw and played at NAMM. The ones I handled and the others on display had a huge KENNY J logo on the tube. And yes, Rheuben Allen was there - I know him. He did an overhaul for me a while back as well as a lot of small jobs on various horns of mine when he had his shop in North Hollywood and in Hollywood. I have no doubt that whatever Rheuben is involved in is a good product. DAVE

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,745 Posts
It does look like one but I don't think it was made by Soprano Planet. Doesn't matter, if it plays it plays.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look like one but I don't think it was made by Soprano Planet. Doesn't matter, if it plays it plays.
The description says they are made in the USA. Maybe the same blanks.

You are right, though. It doesn't matter. It plays fine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just bought a Missing Link, and the Kenny G piece looks different, for example the rails on the Kenny G piece are much thicker.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
They aren’t madd by Soprano Planet. I guarantee that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts