Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have been warned! The end of the world is near!

You too can experience this ??? for only $65 a ticket/set.

Should we organize a protest? or run away and plug our ears?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Supply and demand at it's best . . . although I am surprised that G man is down to Regatta Bar size venues. Is the demise of smooth jazz being reflected in the fact the Kenny is playing small rooms now, or is this just some special circumstance?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I doubt it's a matter of being "down to" small venues. I'm sure he still sells out venues worldwide. Smooth jazz is as strong as it ever was. Probably a special appearance to help a friend.

·
3,202 Posts
wow, people pay that much to be entertained for one set now? Even if you like the snake charmer that's probably going to add up to quite a bit with drinks. I wonder what his take is when all is said and done. Hopefully it is a charity thing for him.

·
3,536 Posts
I think I'll wait till GGarzone is there. Thats more my speed.

·
3,202 Posts
A few years back the Regatta Bar wouldn't give Phil Woods money for a room to stay over the night before the gig which he has to do now for health/heart condition reasons apparently. Can't travel on the days he plays. So he didn't do the gig. Think the snake charmer will get a room? I'm trying to start trouble obviously, it's so much fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Be aware: this is all part of a terrorist plot to lull us to sleep with this saxophone music, then, when we're in a coma, ATTACK! I believe it's called the Kenny G-hahd...

·
824 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was able to buy my tickets early, and therefore got a front row seat at the second show. The Regatta Bar is an approx. 200 seat room in the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square. It is similar to Scullers, across the river in the Doubletree Hotel.

Kenny has a two man show. He told a few amusing stories, and didn't get in to making any cheeky political comments, as I have seen at similar venues. He plays sax along with a keyboard player and some recorded background music. He played Sop with the exception of Desafinado, which he played on Tenor. Very entertaining, he wandered around the room playing with his wireless mike. He even sat in the seat next to my wife for a while while playing. He also played one number using his Kenny G brand Sop. After the show Kenny was out front to meet his fans and sign CD's.

I did not like the sound set up, and the "band in a box". His sound was muffled by the electronics and echo effect, so it didn't really come off as live music. We did have a great time, however, and also enjoyed his demonstration of circular breathing. It's great that KG gets people interested in Saxophone and Jazz.

I think people like Kenny G play small rooms at times, just as famous actors sometimes do summer stock.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Watch closely how Miles is looking at him, like he's thinking: "Get this guy outta here before I kill him!!!"

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet my life kenny g plays changes better than the original OP. Oh . . .and hes sold a ton more CD's than him as well.
And if you are wrong, that means smooth jazz fans have been buying junk all along? What do record sales have to do with quality anyhow? Pop music disproved any connection years ago.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts