Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of him? Here's what little information I've been able to come up with.

1) The Social Security Death Index lists a single Kenneth Douse, born 30 Apr 1906, died Dec 1983, last residence Washington, DC. This seems very likely to be "the" Kenneth Douse.

2) The 10-CD Marine Band box set The Bicentennial Collection (that is, the Marine Band Bicentennial, 1798-1998) features two tracks with Douse soloing on alto saxophone. Enrico Toselli's Serenade was recorded in 1932. Joseph de Luca's Beautiful Colorado was recorded in 1948. The former features a beautiful, sweet tone and musical phrasing (and can be downloaded here), the latter is an extremely virtuosic display of Douse's double-tonguing facility.

3) His book How to Double and Triple Staccato was published by M. Baron Co. in 1948.

Anyone know any more about him?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kenneth Douse was a member of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band from 1926 to 1950. When he joined the Marine Band, all members were required to play both a wind and a string instrument. Kenny's principal instrument was violin. Because he had had some training on saxophone, he chose saxophone as his second instrument. He quickly developed into one of our finest soloists. He provided us with the following biographocal information.

Kenneth Douse was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England on April 30, 1906. He was brought to the United States in 1910 and lived in Berryville, Virginia. About 1912 he moved to Washington DC and began study of the violin at age 7 or 8. He attended grade and high schools in Washington, DC, and studied violin at the Washington College of Music under Emil Christiani during which time (around 1924) he played in various string ensembles as well as theater and dance orchestras in and around Washington, DC.

He became a member of the U.S. Marine Band in 1926 as a violinist and began the serious study of the saxophone at that time. He retired from the band in 1950 and became a member of the National Symphony in Washington as a violinist and saxophonist for the next 17 years, retiring from the orchestra in 1968.

Kenny (as he was always refered to in the band) died suddenly on December 8, 1983, leaving a wife,one son, Richard A. Douse, and three granddaughters.

Marine Band members who knew Kenny considered him to be one of our finest soloists and one of the nicest persons in the band. His seemingly limitless technique, beautiful sound, and tremendous musicianship made him a tremendously popular soloist.

MGySgt Mike Ressler
Chief Librarian
US Marine Band
Washington DC

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to research and post that, Gunny.
It's these kinds of interesting items that keep me coming back.
Cheers!

·
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for that information on Kenneth Douse, MarineBandSax. It's really great to have this forum to preserve and disseminate information that might otherwise be lost to the larger saxophone community. I hope some of the readers of this thread have taken the time to check out the link above to sample Douse's wonderful playing.

·
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kenneth Douse was a member of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band from 1926 to 1950. When he joined the Marine Band, all members were required to play both a wind and a string instrument. Kenny's principal instrument was violin. Because he had had some training on saxophone, he chose saxophone as his second instrument. He quickly developed into one of our finest soloists. He provided us with the following biographocal information.

Kenneth Douse was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England on April 30, 1906. He was brought to the United States in 1910 and lived in Berryville, Virginia. About 1912 he moved to Washington DC and began study of the violin at age 7 or 8. He attended grade and high schools in Washington, DC, and studied violin at the Washington College of Music under Emil Christiani during which time (around 1924) he played in various string ensembles as well as theater and dance orchestras in and around Washington, DC.

He became a member of the U.S. Marine Band in 1926 as a violinist and began the serious study of the saxophone at that time. He retired from the band in 1950 and became a member of the National Symphony in Washington as a violinist and saxophonist for the next 17 years, retiring from the orchestra in 1968.

Kenny (as he was always refered to in the band) died suddenly on December 8, 1983, leaving a wife,one son, Richard A. Douse, and three granddaughters.

Marine Band members who knew Kenny considered him to be one of our finest soloists and one of the nicest persons in the band. His seemingly limitless technique, beautiful sound, and tremendous musicianship made him a tremendously popular soloist.

MGySgt Mike Ressler
Chief Librarian
US Marine Band
Washington DC
Some of you may enjoy the following feature article on Mike Ressler: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...474830_1_inauguration-day-ressler-marine-band

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I know him very well, he is my Grandfather. I just found this website...what infor would you like to know? Marlene

Has anyone heard of him? Here's what little information I've been able to come up with.

1) The Social Security Death Index lists a single Kenneth Douse, born 30 Apr 1906, died Dec 1983, last residence Washington, DC. This seems very likely to be "the" Kenneth Douse.

2) The 10-CD Marine Band box set The Bicentennial Collection (that is, the Marine Band Bicentennial, 1798-1998) features two tracks with Douse soloing on alto saxophone. Enrico Toselli's Serenade was recorded in 1932. Joseph de Luca's Beautiful Colorado was recorded in 1948. The former features a beautiful, sweet tone and musical phrasing (and can be downloaded here), the latter is an extremely virtuosic display of Douse's double-tonguing facility.

3) His book How to Double and Triple Staccato was published by M. Baron Co. in 1948.

Anyone know any more about him?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I know Kenneth Douse very well, he is my grandfather. This is my 1st visit to this website...so I'm having little problems w/ figuring out 'how' to send responsed. If you need more infor...I could help. Marlene

·
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I know Kenneth Douse very well, he is my grandfather. This is my 1st visit to this website...so I'm having little problems w/ figuring out 'how' to send responsed. If you need more infor...I could help. Marlene
Hi Marlene, I hadn't noticed your posting here. In case you are still checking in, one thing I'm curious about - do you know if your grandfather was self-taught on the saxophone? Since he took up the saxophone in 1926 and obviously mastered double-tonguing, I wonder if he was inspired by Rudy Wiedoeft who was very popular at that time and also very accomplished with rapid staccato. Did he ever talk about who or what inspired him to take up the saxophone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kenneth Douse performing Beautiful Colorado in 1948.

I would love to hear the Kenneth Douse recording (removed some how from your post). Could you email me the audio file or the URL. I will be performing this piece with the Canadian Air Force 8 Wing Concert Band this fall. I am trying to collect as many interpretations as possible. Email: [email protected]
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...sorry haven't checked in for a while; Grandpop had 6 lessons on the Saxophone and was self taught from then on, his lessons on the violin helped alot with that, and I'm sure his hearing of 'perfect pitch' also helped. He was inspired to take up playing sax, due to being in the Marine Band; at that time the members were required to play two instruments and he picked the saxophone. I'm not sure about Rudy Wiedoeft, I'll have pick my Dad's memory and get back with you on that. Just a little more information...Grandpop also composed some music pieces; Defender's of Freedom and ATHWI, there's a funny story he told us about the later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After speaking with Dad...more information I have.
Grandpop while he was in USMC President's Own band...he actually developed the triple tongue technique listening & following the trumpters douple & triple tongue method; then after many inquires he wrote the book on Rapid double & triple tongueing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My grandfather was Kenneth Douse, but band members called him Kenny. I have books, (defenders of Freedom, how to triple staccato & records that he wrote & played. I miss him so much❤ Every Birthday he would call & play happy birthday on his violin.

·
9,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My grandfather was Kenneth Douse, but band members called him Kenny. I have books, (defenders of Freedom, how to triple staccato & records that he wrote & played. I miss him so much❤ Every Birthday he would call & play happy birthday on his violin.
Awww, what a sweet story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.