Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a help with buying a new instrument.
I'm switching from Selmer III tenor on other saxophone. Long ago I have the desire to play keilwerth, black nickel sx90r.
I have the choice between 2 models: almost new tenor SX90R 3 years old 126xxx, 20 Years Edition sx90r from 2009. with 930er Silver neck.

Does anyone have any experience with these instruments?
What is the current price of such saxophone?

·
Banned
45 Posts
Do you have the opportunity to play both? If so pick the one you like best ;). I've been looking at JK tenors and what I've found online is that an almost new should be in the $3200-$4000. Anniversary model, I have no idea what the premium for that is, but an "ordinary" from 2009 in good condition...probably $2200-$3200. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You need to play both. Those were both built in Markneukirchen (95% sure Keilwerth had switched all manufacturing to Markneukirchen by 2009).

Or choose the one that is in better shape, or has the finish that you like better. Without playing either, there's no other way to choose between the two other than price.

Current prices for a brand new SX-90R tenor in Black nickel is about..$6,700 USD.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Yes, test them both - JK SX90R is the best tenor you can find!

I think I woiuld prefer the newest one: Mine tenor SX90R is nr 125xxx is perfect. My soprano SX90II (1997) and alto SX90 (1990-ish) is both great horns, but the mechanics, keywork, finish and tunig can't match the latest JK's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
For me... I'll stay with Series III... and maybe I'll invest in a "top repairman" overhaul. :mrgreen:

In some circumstances, the Series III become pretty sensitive... and requires a very sensitive technician to get back to a 110% efficiency.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would get the almost new SX90R. I bought a bn SX90R 108xxx on here a couple of years ago for 2k in like new condition...I've had many tenor's, this is one horn that I'll keep, the only thing is it's a little bit heavy, but you get used to it after awhile. I really wanted to get a Series III, but it was a lot brighter:sunny::cool: than my Yamahahahaha Custom silver Z, so I had to pass on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I need a help with buying a new instrument.
I'm switching from Selmer III tenor on other saxophone...
The Serie III is a great tenor. I played one for many years, then I got caught in the wanna-play-something-else loop, and it took me a while to get out. As the old drinking toast goes “May you get what you want, and want what you get!”

Prices here don’t matter if you are buying abroad. Value will be dictated by your more local market. That said, SX90R tenors have sometimes had a difficult time finding a buyer here at SotW even for $2000. Then there are people that want to sell them for as much as they (over)paid, and will ask $4000 for months, even years, before giving up or settling for a lot less.

I would hope that you could get the J-K for about the same as you sell your Selmer, as the Selmer generally has a greater market value.

I suggest you play the J-K before you sell your III - you may regret it.

·
Banned
566 Posts
The Serie III is a great tenor. I played one for many years, then I got caught in the wanna-play-something-else loop, and it took me a while to get out. As the old drinking toast goes “May you get what you want, and want what you get!”

Prices here don’t matter if you are buying abroad. Value will be dictated by your more local market. That said, SX90R tenors have sometimes had a difficult time finding a buyer here at SotW even for $2000. Then there are people that want to sell them for as much as they (over)paid, and will ask $4000 for months, even years, before giving up or settling for a lot less.

I would hope that you could get the J-K for about the same as you sell your Selmer, as the Selmer generally has a greater market value.

I suggest you play the J-K before you sell your III - you may regret it.
some good information here.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have had both Keilwerths . The anniversary edition is pretty rare. The 930 silver neck is actually real silver not just plated. At one time I had 5 Keilwerth tenors. The Anniversary, a Black sx90 R, a nickle silver sx90 R, a regular lacquer sx90, an a black nickel sx90. That being said, I was nuts..... lol . The difference in each model was VERY insignificant. They all played great. I now have the Black SX90 and a Selmer MK VII. You need to play them while you still own your series III for comparison. Your horn is a great instrument, you said you always wanted a black nickel sx90r but if that is based just on its "look" you might be really disappointed. If there is anyway you could get at least 2 of your 3 options in the same room you'd probably have your answer without playing the 3rd.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dear Hamilton, looks like we have the same taste. I have a regular laquer SX90R which I really like. I have thought that a nickle silver or Shadow might be a further upgrade. There was really no significant difference between the 5 different SX90(R) versions? I have further once played a Mark VII which impressed me, much more than a couple of Mark VI in comparison, but didn´t have the cash to buy. Could you explain which you like more - the SX90R or the Mark VII - , and what differences between the two you feel? Thanks a lot, TSax80

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you very much for your suggestions.
At the moment, unfortunately, I can not try these saxophone. Sellers are too far from me.
Series III was sold a few months ago due to certain life problems.

Besides keilwerth black nickel appealing from the outside, I like the concept of sound.
I read that there is a chance of an unusual finger ergonomic. But, I owned P Mauriat Black Pearl, nd it seems to me that he was similar to this.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Dear Hamilton, looks like we have the same taste. I have a regular laquer SX90R which I really like. I have thought that a nickle silver or Shadow might be a further upgrade. There was really no significant difference between the 5 different SX90(R) versions? I have further once played a Mark VII which impressed me, much more than a couple of Mark VI in comparison, but didn´t have the cash to buy. Could you explain which you like more - the SX90R or the Mark VII - , and what differences between the two you feel? Thanks a lot, TSax80
The Nickle silver sx90r was perhaps the most different from the rest. Different was not better in my case, it was just a lighter , buzzy tone compared to the rest.even if that was what I wanted , the small difference wasn't worth the price of the horn when I already had a great horn. The one I kept is a SX90, straight tone holes (no 'R'). It was just my go to horn , a really great instrument. The MKVII has its own classic Selmer tone & response. The ergonomics are fine once you play it for a little bit. Much bigger wall of sound than a series II that I owned but I do prefer the Keilwerth in every aspect.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I absolutely love my nickel-silver tenor. I would play a nickel-silver alto in a heart beat. And when I manage to get a spare $15 grand, I'll buy the Shadow bari, which is built on a nickel-silver body.

The arguments over whether the finish makes any difference to the sound or not have gone round and round here since the dark ages. There's no real scientific evidence that it makes any difference at all. There may be some minute affect on the sound if the entire body is made of a different material, suck as the nickel-silver horns, which aren't made of brass. But the bigger difference is in the player/reed/mouthpiece combination.

So, my advice is to just find the specific horn that you like, whether in sound, ergonomics, or the way it looks. Don't be ashamed for picking a horn that looks the coolest when presented with two equally playing and sounding horns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should try a Keilwerth before ordering blindly from abroad. I have rather short pinkies and I kept missing the Eb/C keys on the right hand when I playtested a SX90R tenor on two occasions. The ergonomics are more spread than on other makes, at least vs those that I have tested. If you have big hands that might not be a problem for you at all. In contrast the alto was ok for me. I almost would have bought one from new because it sounded really great, later tested a used on and thourogly disliked the sound. Despite being both a SX90R they had a very different character. Don't buy blind.

Alphorn

·
Registered
957 Posts
I own an SX90R Shadow and an SX90R Vintage tenor. I prefer the Vintage in every respect. It just has a more rich, lush tone. I find the Shadow kind of one dimensional sounding in comparison. However, I have not played many examples of SX90Rs so this may be unique to the two examples I own and not something attributed to the material of the horn or finish. I must admit the Shadow is one of the most beautiful horns I have ever laid my eyes on. It is stunning in every respect and that explains why I have not sold it. It is not a bad horn in any way, it just suffers in comparison to my Vintage which for me is really dialed in to what I want. Both horns have a beefy tone and a huge dynamic range. Keilwerths are fun horns to play.

I really do recommend playing a horn before you buy unless you are the kind of person who is comfortable selling a horn you do not like, most likely at a loss. Play as many horns as you can get your hands on in your area to get a feel for what you are looking for. If you really want a certain horn and you are able to do it, travel to test it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts