Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ponzol wanted Keilwerth to make a smaller bow on this horn is there any way to know how much smaller and a way to do it?Does anyone think it is a reason that the traditionally troublesome mid D is extra troublesome on these horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
it may be possible that they did something like some of the USA Mark VI alto's where a patch was silver soldered on the top of the bow to reduce the volume

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,021 Posts
Since the KW bow is unusually long, causing the bell to be farther from the body tube, I doubt that any patch is going to make much difference. This is the major design feature of the KW so you can't reasonably expect to alter it without adversely affecting the whole horn.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do not have a real problem with middle D on my SX90R, you get used to it after short time und just support it a bit more. I think Keilwerth did the right thing not to alter the big bow.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have a bn SX90R, 108xxx...there's no problem at all with middle D, it plays with a fat resonant tone, no stuffiness, plays perfectly in tune!:eek:ccasion:

·
3,561 Posts
I have zero problem with middle D or ANY notes on my assorted vintage Keilwerth stencil tenors from the mid 60s-mid 80s.

·
4,160 Posts
Since the KW bow is unusually long, causing the bell to be farther from the body tube, I doubt that any patch is going to make much difference. This is the major design feature of the KW so you can't reasonably expect to alter it without adversely affecting the whole horn.
I agree, was just saying that Selmer did it with some of the VI's to reduce the volume in the bow and stabilize the low notes on some of their altos. If the Ponzol bow actually has physically smaller bow volume, then it's likely that a patch would have been soldered on the top of the bow in a similar fashion instead of tooling for a new bow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts