Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally try to resist the temptation to rant about newly acquired saxes, mouthpieces, etc., knowing that there is usually a "honeymoon" and things can change, etc.

That said, I can't resist. I just picked up a brand spanking new Keilwerth SX-90 low Bb bari.

Last week, I owned a Mark VI low Bb and and Couf Low A bari. I mostly have been playing the VI when I play bari. But recently I had the two horns out goofing around with both of them. I was digging the Couf.

Just for grins I called up a local music store and asked if they had an SX-90 low Bb. The salesman told me: "The warehouse says we don't, but I know we do. I'll call you back." He did. Lo and behold, they had a horn, but no case.

Anyway, I went up there to give it a blow. It was still in the packing box from the distributor. It played like a house on fire right out of the box -- all the way from the bottom to the top. The bottom is unbelievable. And the response of the horn is fantastic.

I wound up swapping the VI for it. Don't get me wrong, the VI was a very nice horn. If I was a big band player I might have kept the VI. But I play rock, blues, and a little combo jazz, and this thing rips.

Probably not the most practical purchase in the world. I usually like buying used horns. But I figured the chances of finding a used one of these I could try were slim to none. Because the SX-90 Low Bb was priced pretty well, partly because of the no case thing, and because I got a good deal on the VI, I did ok.

I've tried a few different baris -- low Bb and Low A, vintage and modern (including Keilwerth low Bb stencils and a SX-90 low A). Maybe I just got lucky and this is a real good one. Or maybe this is the honeymoon, but his blows anything else I've played away.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of case I can get this thing in. It doesn't fit in a ProTec contoured case, I know that.

If anyone has any ideas on that, let me know. I have an old beater case I can probably modify in the short term to work. If anyone has any case ideas, I would love to hear them. It has a huge bell that sticks way out from the horn.

Anyway, if you get the chance and can find one of these, they are pretty sweet.

Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
The only choices in cases that I know that work are the Berkeley that fits both Bb and A (but doesn't have shaped foam inside...sort of DIY). The best choice is the Jakob Winter case, but it's only available from the EU. I have a Couf Superba Bb (same impression) that fits in both. I also love the J. Winter low A cases and have two (for yani B991 and King Tempo)

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SX-90 Case

So does Jakob Winter make a case that is specifically a Low Bb case -- or is it a hybrib low A/ low Bb deal.

Is there a US souce for the Berkley cases?

Does anyone have one of the these Winter or Berkley they would like to sell?

Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
BAM High Tech works great for JKs, both Low A and low Bb.

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks. Maybe the thing to do is swallow hard and buy a BAM case if it really works for both the Low Bb and Low A horns.

I don't suppose anyone has a used one that want to sell at a reasonable price. . .

If so, contact me by PM or at rammingerscott at yahoo dot com.

Thanks,

Scott

·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes the Gods Are Smiling. . .

Sometimes things just fall into place. . .

Over lunch I remembered that I was negotiating with an older gentlemman in DC back in January on a very lightly used BAM bari case. He bought it for a swing band he was going to play in that never got off the ground.

He wanted more than I wanted to spend for a case. I really didn't NEED it then. I made him and offer and he turned me down and we parted wishing each other well.

I found his e-mail at lunch, and dropped him a note on the remote chance he might still have it. He did. We compromised on the price and I picked it up after work.

I got it for just about half what a new one goes for, and it literally looks unused. It's still a lot of bread for a case, but it seemed like a lot better deal when I was consigned to not taking my caseless brand new horn out of the basement.

It is a very nice case, and not quite as huge as I had imagined from the pictures.

And as fate would have it, I have a gig tomorrow night where I can play the horn now that I have a case.

I'll probably be run over by a truck on the way there are something. Everything is coming together too nicely here.

Thanks for the help everyone. These kind of situations really make you appreciate this forum, becuase most of the dealers I talked too really didn't know what cases would hold this horn. Nothing like getting the benefit of a little first hand experience!

Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Scott, glad to hear it worked out for you. You will really like the BAM, I am sure.

and if you ever want to sell it, please let me know;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts