Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Keilwerth ST90 Series II alto for a good price.
I have to say that I’m more than a little impressed with it.
Intonation is spot on.
Ergonomics are as slick and modern as one could want.
And it’s got a nice darkish tone about it.
I really wasn’t expecting a lot from this but it has surprised me.
Certainly a good candidate for a beginner or intermediate player or for anyone wanting a cheap alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
They are good, Yours is made with German parts assembled by Amati.

See this other very comprehensive thread which explains where they were actually made ( there are even more previous threads about this horn)

If you follow this link you will find a LOT more info

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?216397-Keilwerth-ST90

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andre,
I just had a quick read through the other thread.
What stuck out for me was the reference to the Yanagisawa 901 in terms of a student horn.
Price wise the 901 is miles ahead especially on the used marked, but sound wise I’m not convinced.
I find the Keilwerth darker and more “Lush” for want of a better term than the 901 I had briefly.
Ergonomics similar for me in that they’re made for tiny hands on both accounts.

I also read a similar thread on the Cafe last night about where the different models were made.
It was interesting as I always thought they (ST90 Series) were all made of in Taiwan.

Certainly a good contender for the Yamaha 23 as a recommended student horn.
At least in my mind.

·
38,875 Posts
Only the ST90 IV is made by Jupiter.

The Keliwerths are good (whoever makes them) BUT Yanagisawa is better than good mechanics-wise, that has to be said.

Sound-wise, of course there are differences and if you like one, you probably won’t like the other.

The market for these hybrid Keilwerths is very low, I have to say that I don’t buy them because, despite their good quality they aren’t sought after, right or wrong that’s where the market is.

More power to those like you , buy a great horn at a fraction of its value.

These and many other horns are now priced so low that it would be foolish to even think of overhauling because you can buy one in perfect state for less than the overhaul will cost.

Not so long ago a friend of mine bought two series 8 Jupiter, alto and soprano, with solid silver necks in new state and perfect adjustment for less than €1000 each.

They would outplay anything in the student and intermediate class and be close contenders to Selmer.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this is true.
I paid only $285 Australian for this one and it has just been serviced and plays nicely.
Perfect for my needs as a practice horn I can keep ar work.

·
38,875 Posts
well, there you go, comes the time that It may need an overhaul you buy another one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts