Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't know me: I'm a serious Keilwerth fan. I've got at least 4 Keilwerth New King in my current collection and I've had many passing by through the years. These are some of the greatest horns ever made. And they are absurdly cheap. Anyway, I always look for Keilwerths when I'm browsing the web.
Today I found this horn. I have never seen another Keilwerth with a shield like this.
Could this be original? I highly doubt it. But I've been wrong before. The engraving is much deeper cut and just different from Keilwerths usual engravings. And I see no reasons for this shield. Maybe it was a special order? Or maybe a tech did a really fancy repair of a crack? Who knows... a real mystery for the unknowing Keilwerth lovers (at least for the OP ;)).
Are there any other Keilwerth enthusiasts out here that has seen something similar before?

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Green Sleeve Hood Automotive lighting

Link to ad and more pictures:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
what I see is a plate (sheild) attached to the horn beneath the serial number - I don't recall ever seeing this before - very interesting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,130 Posts
I have seen this type of slanted palm keys horn before but the shield no, I have never seen one, could be just a decoration but could also be a clever disguise for something going on under that shield

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,516 Posts
Heavy mass logo plate.

Reduced hoop-mode resonance so the air column darkens the sound pressure of the calibrated double-blind standing wave spectroscopy.

Nope. Never seen or heard of that before but I’m convinced that’s what it is because science.

And you can engrave your name on it.

<sarc off>

Very cool! I want one!

·
42,130 Posts
it would be difficult because the horn looks good but by the lower thumb rest I have seen patches before where thumbs have worn the metal thin...

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
My guess is that it was attached so an owner's name could be engraved, and then it didn't ever get engraved. There are many wooden cases for silverware, jewelry, etc., that are sold with similar plates attached, ready for engraving. My wife has two like that, neither engraved. I'd say this is just the saxophone version.

·
42,130 Posts
it is certainly possible but, not being standard , if it was soldered for the purpose of engraving a name this was done upon the buyer's request and then it would be strange that no name was engraved (such things do exist on many items but on a lighter or a purse or a mug the “ cartouche” is a standard item, not on a saxophone) , if a client had asked this would have also asked the shop to engrave a name.

I guess that, unless there is a hole or some damage there (which I strongly suspect) we would never know

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen this type of slanted palm keys horn before
Well yes, I have at least 3 horns with the slant side keys in my collection :)
None of them have the shield.
I'm still going to say that it doesn't pass for original as nobody has seen or heard about this before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those who don't know me: I'm a serious Keilwerth fan. I've got at least 4 Keilwerth New King in my current collection and I've had many passing by through the years. These are some of the greatest horns ever made. And they are absurdly cheap. Anyway, I always look for Keilwerths when I'm browsing the web.
Today I found this horn. I have never seen another Keilwerth with a shield like this.
Could this be original? I highly doubt it. But I've been wrong before. The engraving is much deeper cut and just different from Keilwerths usual engravings. And I see no reasons for this shield. Maybe it was a special order? Or maybe a tech did a really fancy repair of a crack? Who knows... a real mystery for the unknowing Keilwerth lovers (at least for the OP ;)).
Are there any other Keilwerth enthusiasts out here that has seen something similar before?

View attachment 117651
View attachment 117652

Link to ad and more pictures:

Beautiful horn.

What’s the year/model of this — it looks a lot like a horn I just picked up —minus the shield—that I’m trying to ID

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,310 Posts
Beautiful horn.

What’s the year/model of this — it looks a lot like a horn I just picked up —minus the shield—that I’m trying to ID
It looks like an early New King (Series 0) or Modell 3. The slanted side keys appear on some later models, but I think the wire keyguards would place it in the early 1930's.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,310 Posts
If there's a crack or penetrating damage, you (or the owner) should be able to see it through the D key tonehole. My guess is that something objectionable (a previous owners name?) was engraved there and this was the easiest way to obscure or remove it in an aesthetically pleasing way. When I've seen (aftermarket) identifying information on horns, it's usually been engraved below the serial number.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,347 Posts
I love those side keys. Wish other makers had tried them. So comfortable.

I would think custom nameplate that was left blank, but typically those would be engraved prior to putting them on the body for ease of engraving. Could be, though.

I also wonder if its just a fancy way to cover up a phone number, owners name, or social security number (don't laugh, I think it was actually a law in Florida or something like that a long while back that you had to engrave your SSN on an instrument if you wanted to register it with either police or insurance co.)

·
42,130 Posts
I think Amati has tried the slated side keys on the Oldroyd Lienage ( which I think sadly are no more because they were too expensive

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Human body

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Music Woodwind instrument

·
42,130 Posts
few have, it was produced in small numbers when Geneva Group bought Amati but the tenor would ave run into €10,000 or thereabouts so they didn’t sell (and their marketing was only at the beginning stadium) in any case , Amati seems to have been then re-sold to a Czech group of investors. It is not clear what they are doing, but this model probably won’t be produced anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts