Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever see a horn LIKE THIS? Pearls like an early Super 20 and RTHs, but the posts and keyguards don't look like any German horn I've ever seen. Looks more like an early Conn stencil that has been reworked with additional pearls...

·
1,386 Posts
I was curious about that one too, and asked what was inscribed on the bell:
MAGNA Regd Made Specially For Permier (sic?) Higham in Bohemia
(footnote - Higham was a Manchester based maker/importer which in the 30s traded as the Premier Drum Co.)

I then asked why they thought it is a KW:
This saxophone has rolled tone holes which tells you that it is either a Pen Special, a Conn or a Keilwerth. If you then examine the posts you can see that they are the unique sausage like Keilwerth posts that are still of the same design today and the keywork is also of early Keilwerth design. Hope this helps.
Many other makers used RTHs of course, and it couldn't be a Conn if made in Bohemia, but I think I've seen Penn Specials with the full pearls; don't know about the posts though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
That is most likely NOT a Keilwerth.
The post shape referred to above as "sausage" like is not typical of Keilwerth....a DIAMOND shaped post is typical of Keilwerths.

This could be an older JK horn, but I am most inclined to say it is a very old predecessor of a B&S.
They made tons of stencils and they almost all had the shape of posts you see in these photos....which is not diamond shaped.
I would describe the posts in the auction photos as more shaped like a chess piece pawn.

·
1,386 Posts
Randall said:
This could be an older JK horn, but I am most inclined to say it is a very old predecessor of a B&S.
Yes, it couldn't be 1950s (as per the listing) with split bell keys, could it?

·
3,860 Posts
If it is an ancient B&S, it most certainly isn't 50's with split bell keys. It would have to be somewhere from the teens through the 1930's.

BTW, I have a nearly identical horn here on my desk, right now, with right hand bell keys and tortoise shell "pearls" on all the side keys, table keys, and right hand pinky keys.

Neat horns and fantastic players!!!

·
1,386 Posts
Randall said:
BTW, I have a nearly identical horn here on my desk, right now, with right hand bell keys and tortoise shell "pearls" on all the side keys, table keys, and right hand pinky keys.

Neat horns and fantastic players!!!
Who made yours Randall?

·
3,860 Posts
It is made by the same manufacturere as the horn in question.
I have gotten several of these horns from Germany and they are all nearly identical. The one I have is engraved HESS and then under that, Klingenthall. I forgot to mention in also has the tunable neck and what could either be a high F# key or a D trill key (like the old Rudy Weidoft Holtons). Haven't gotten the repad yet to play it and see what it is!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts