Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did some pictures of my current collection of Julius Keilwerth Saxophones for a friend and thought one or two of you might enjoy it as well. Feel free to ask if you have questions on a particular horn.

Altos:
- 1936 Toneking Modell 3, nickel plated
- 1957 New King Stencil, silver plated, gold-washed bell
- 1961 Toneking, lacquer
- 1983 Toneking Exclusive, lacquer

Tenors:
- 1936 Toneking Modell 2, nickel plated
- 1963 Toneking Special, two-tone
- 1968 New King, custom finish
- 1970 Toneking, nickel plated

Soprano:
- 1971 Toneking, lacquer

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
You are missing, at the very least, the Toneking Special Tenor that I have for sale :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
Makes it easy to see where they started with the long bows. Funny, but the long bow is the reason I won't try one - completely baseless, I know, but I've never touched a KW.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Funny, but the long bow is the reason I won't try one - completely baseless, I know, but I've never touched a KW.
That's pretty extreme! Is it just that you don't like the look of them?

I didn't even notice the difference in bow sizes until I had owned my SX90R for at least 5 years, and that's despite actively switching back and forth between it and an (Army-issued) SA80 II for the first few years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which tenor has the darkest tone? And how does it compared to others?
Honestly i can not hear a big difference between the tenors and i tend to have a rather dark tone in general, but if i had to pick one its probably the oldest nickel plated one. The Keilwerths are the loudest and most powerfull tenors in my collection with a little edge to their tone. However especially the TK special has hands down the best response in the lower notes of all tenors i owned/currently down - Also invites you to whisper ballads 🙂

·
Registered
957 Posts
Beautiful collection, thanks for sharing!

I have only played modern SX90R tenors which are fantastic horns. Have you compared your vintage horns to the modern Keilwerth offerings? How do they compare?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Nope I can’t compete with dat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful collection, thanks for sharing!

I have only played modern SX90R tenors which are fantastic horns. Have you compared your vintage horns to the modern Keilwerth offerings? How do they compare?
I have only played modern Keilwerth Altos (SX90R, MKX). I would say tone-wise the tonekings are on par with the SX90R, if not slightly more vibrant. The ergonomics of the SX90R are slightly better than the TK Exclusive (no offset toneholes) and noticeable better that the other TK/NK (no oversized pearls, not so fancy pinky table). The intonation was easier to control with the SX90R, but not by any means difficult to keep steady in the vintage models.

Personally, i did not like the one MKX (feel, tone, response) at all when i tested it for around 20 minutes... Then again, it was only one horn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts