Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my SX90 tenor in early January it came with a stock "Jazz" mouthpiece. I gave it a try. Two or three notes later I thought the mouthpiece was an absolute joke. Yesterday I bought a SX90R alto and told the seller to just keep the Jazz mpc., I had no use for it. Well, it was in the case when I got the horn - seller forgot to remove it, or just didn't want it. It is obviously not hand finished and appears to be made of plastic. But I gave it a try because I was in the mood for a good laugh. Well, what do you know...the alto version of this mouthpiece is actually very good. I spent an hour with it and might even use it on tonight's gig.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I received my SX-90 alto, I had a Selmer SuperSession mpc with Vandoren Optimum ligature already waiting. I thought I would never play with the stuff that came with the horn. That was just a tought. I actually use this ESM Jazz mouthpiece quite often. For me, it has a kind of a rough, less sophisticated sound, but the sound sure is big. Probably not a top of the line mpc, but way much better than I expected to just get with a horn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting. I used it tonight for a good part of the gig and it played surprisingly nice and sounded pretty big. I normally use a rubber Link and don't plan on switching, but this mouthpiece is good enough to keep.
I agree. This is a very nice mpc for keilwerth. I also got one ESM Heaven. Blue in color, sound is very bright, very good for playing :twisted:

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
Selmer Paris 6,7,SA80 & Couf S1s
3,621 Posts
I have a these for tenor. The facing on mine are pretty good. The table is not .. it wasn't close to flat so it didn't play worth diddly squat at first. After i flattened the table the mpc played surprisingly good. Though it was brighter than a HR step baffle piece I have. It's an okay piece. I recall Mr Couf used to take out the JK mpcs and replace them with his own mpcs back in the day

i always called them the "Devo" mpc

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
7,828 Posts
I like my Keilwerth 6* Jazz for tenor. It's a good mouthpiece for playing quiet duo gigs where you don't want to be too loud. Even tho' there is what looks like a high baffle, it's not overly bright at all. If anyone has a 7 for sale, let me know.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like my Keilwerth 6* Jazz for tenor. It's a good mouthpiece for playing quiet duo gigs where you don't want to be too loud. Even tho' there is what looks like a high baffle, it's not overly bright at all. If anyone has a 7 for sale, let me know.
I noticed the same thing(!) It's interesting how, despite the high baffle, the tenor piece is so quiet while the alto is a bit too lively. I trimmed out a good part of the alto's baffle and thinned the rails and it warmed things up quite a bit. I might remove more baffle, but I'll play it for a few days first. I actually like it now. It's very much like a Lakey jazz, but not as loud.

·
7,828 Posts
It's interesting how, despite the high baffle, the tenor piece is so quiet while the alto is a bit too lively.
You got me curious, so played the tenor piece again. It's not really what I'd call a quiet mouthpiece… it can bark, but it's not in the paintpealer camp either. My friend described it as "somewhere between a Berg and a Link". The sound seems very centered, no?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got me curious, so played the tenor piece again. It's not really what I'd call a quiet mouthpiece… it can bark, but it's not in the paintpealer camp either. My friend described it as "somewhere between a Berg and a Link". The sound seems very centered, no?
Ha! I was about to post about my re-visit to the tenor piece - you beat me to it. Mine actually was quiet. I opened the tip about half a size. Made it brighter, louder. So I removed a little baffle (not nearly as much as the alto) to darken it just a shade. Got it to sound very "bergey", very cool.

A little hand-finishing and there's some potential here. I'm probably going to record with it today. Go figure.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let us know how your recording comes out.
I recorded a read-through for an upcoming jazz CD. I have a clip of the Berg and a clip the ESM. Is there a way to upload them to here? (Outside of the studio I'm a bit of a dope.)

Wow...very similar sound. But the feel is not similar at all. The Berg needs a little more push, but I like that. On the ESM it's easier to vibrate the reed. ESM tone is a little less deep, but really nice. On playback they both sound great, almost the same. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

·
7,828 Posts
The ESM sounded more pointed to me… centered if you will. The Berg sounded rounder and more traditional. It was also louder, but that was probably because you were standing slightly closer to the microphone. The ESM seems to have better intonation. Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ESM sounded more pointed to me… centered if you will. The Berg sounded rounder and more traditional. It was also louder, but that was probably because you were standing slightly closer to the microphone. The ESM seems to have better intonation. Which do you prefer?
Intonation is not an issue for me right now...(huh?) My main axe is an SBA 50xxx, which is what I used that day. AFTER the session I did the ESM/Berg comparison on the SX90 tenor...which I'm still getting used to pitch-wise. Lipping is dramatically different between these two horns. But yes, the Berg is a little sharp on this track.

I like the Berg while I'm playing. On playback it may be the other way around...too early to tell. However...I tried the ESM on a live gig and I had to blow so hard my eyes almost popped out. Maybe I'll open the facing a little more. But the ESM alto/SX90R combination was just great live.

Thanks for the response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.