Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on these?
A good friend of mine has one and asked if I wanted it.

Ive never used one or know anyone that has used one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Its a stock mouthpiece that comes with a JK when bought brand new. Probably not a very desired piece. I never really tried mine out because I already had my mouthpiece setups in place when I purchased my JK's. I have never heard anyone bragging about one of these, thats for sure.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I may be wrong here, but I thought Keilwerth made a separate Jazz mouthpiece from their stock "new horn" mouthpieces. I'll buy it from your friend if you don't want it. I've heard one of these before...I liked the sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Yep, looks just like my stock pieces. Hey Vivace1, I have an Alto and a Tenor piece just like these. If you want to buy them, PM me and we'll work out a deal. They are not made by Brancher, its just something JK gives you to play your new horn with. I spose it could be a good piece, but I will repeat myself. There's not a lot of people braggin' about them.:)

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I have a client who loves the JK Jazz piece I worked up for him. They are not far off of a Jumbo Java. Pretty decent bang for the buck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bill Kennedy (jazz sax prof at FSU) used these for awhile before switching to a Morgan. His implicit endorsement created a pocket of interest here in Tallahassee. Not a "discard" piece at all....more like a "sell to Vivace1 for $20" piece.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Pretty modest. $20-$30. Maybe more now that I've vouched for them.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I have one that came with a Conn 6M I bought. They have high baffles like Bergs, but play better, if you like baffled alto pieces.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey, these are great mouthpieces...if you use them with a very soft synthetic reed in marching band, and don't care how obnoxious your sound is!

Maybe we could start a cottage industry--buying these pieces from Keilwerth players, and then selling them to young marching band players who need a loud, bright piece for that nasty marching band sound!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've have a tenor one of these and played an alto version recently. My experience with them is as follows:

The tenor piece in my opinion is great. It is quite similar sounding to the Morgan Jazz medium chambered mouthpiece I'm currently playing on, just a little brighter. It isn't, at least not for me, a really bright piece even though it has quite a big step baffle. It was much darker for example than the Guardala Super King I used to own. The piece is really versatile - can play loud and project easily, but plays beautifully soft and warms up really well. A great jazz piece with the versatility to play rock and fusion. I have recorded with this piece some years ago, and I was (and still) pleased with how it sounded.

The alto piece for me was a different beast, although they are clearly a similiar design. The alto piece was much brighter than the Berg 95/1 I currently play, and much louder. It didn't play well soft for me - it didn't make the beautiful warm subtone that the tenor piece can. It did however make a nice loud, bright and full sound that would be suitable probably for louder jazz gigs and rock and fusion. It just didn't feel that it had a lot of versatility (at least for me). Alto is not my main horn though, so that my be part of the equation.

Tim

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
The tenor one that I have I think plays really well - after refacing it. originally it wasn't very reed friendly.

Though I think it has a very clear tone .. in other words it lacks color and depth (ie, complex tonal qualities) in comparison to my Couf Jazz

FWIW .. i call it the Devo piece in regards to the Devo hats (1980's music vidoes) and the stepped shank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts