Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that practicing licks, scales, chords, and patterns from books are fairly common nowadays. However, they can very easily be taken for granted. I have come to approach interval exercises and similar concepts as a sketch so I can use my own creativity to further understand an idea. For example, if I am practicing 4ths for the dominant 7th scale, I may work it through every key by moving in minor 3rds, up and down the range of the instrument. Or I will just work with two and develop a melody using just the 1 4 and 7. Once I familiarize myself with that melody, I might challenge myself even more... such as going back and forth between Bb7 - G7 (minor 3rd movement G7 to Bb7) instead of Bb7 - Db7 (minor 3rd up). The point being, once I understand what is given to me, I take it apart and do what I want with it.

Another way I usually practice is by taking a scale (for example) I know inside and out in one key, and work it out in every other key, but starting on the 2nd (9th) instead of the root. And instead of just going 2 3 4 5 6 etc.. I might raise the bar and practice it in 4ths going up and 5ths down, resolving to a different note that sets me up for the next key.

There are endless ways you can practice scales, chords, ideas, etc. in ways that can more directly engage your own sense of creativity. If you simply run a scale up and down or arpeggiate 1 3 5 and 7, it is going to be just that. But if you work it out in as many ways as possible, you will strengthen your ears ability to identify with the sound much easier. Do not be afraid to make up your own patterns, exercises, or anything that you think you need to improve on.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In addition to overtones, long tones, finger co-ordination exercises, and standing in front of a strobe tuner and I transcribe rappers. There is a lot of benefit to this but every time I mention it to someone they freak to varying degrees.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts