Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned 50 last February and I just can’t loose weight. Problem is that I like to practice in the mornings when the rest of the world is at the gym. I teach middle school band kids all day and when I come home I am mentally GONE with little motivation to do anything. Anyone figure a system to both practice, work, and exercise?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,090 Posts
Hey, I'm retired and I still have to squeeze in practice and gym along with everything else. So, what I'm saying is it doesn't get better. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,375 Posts
The good news is that you can practice portion control at any meal.

Exercise is great too, but being healthy is a total package that requires commitment on all fronts.

Yeah, I used to burn 4000 calories a day when I was in my early 20’s, and weighed 155lbm at 6’4”. Bicycle racing, SCUBA diving, rock climbing, running...

Those days are so gone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,375 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
My wife is a middle school teacher and she is exhausted when she comes home. It’s a burn. I don’t know what your diet is like, but a healthier diet can give you more energy. Like more plant based and less meats and sugar. I am generalizing, but a lot of the teachers that I know are unhealthy and gain weight due to sedentary work and feeling burnt out, and some of them get into a downward spiral of eating fast food because they are too rushed and tired to cook good food, which just makes it worse. If you don’t exercise, force yourself to do it. It’s likely that once you adjust to it you will start to feel great and will have a lot more energy. Try meditation and/or yoga, too. These things will get you out of what ever crappy likestyle traps you may have fallen into. My healthiest years where when I would ride a road bicycle to and from work. It was about 8 miles each way, but because of the commuter traffic it didn’t take much longer than driving. Once I got into the routine I wondered why I hadn’t been doing it all along. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Can you use a bike for transportation? Back when I used to have to commute in to the office, I road my bike, so that my workout was built into my regular routine. If commuting by bike is not viable, maybe try using your bike for running errands?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,553 Posts
I turned 50 last February and I just can’t loose weight. Problem is that I like to practice in the mornings when the rest of the world is at the gym. I teach middle school band kids all day and when I come home I am mentally GONE with little motivation to do anything. Anyone figure a system to both practice, work, and exercise?
Alter your diet....and step away from the trough. :) You sound like you're under a lot of stress and probably gobbling down all kinds of comfort food. The stress could come from simply being overweight. Relax, and then alter your diet, etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A low carb/high protein and fiber diet has helped me whenever I can follow through with it - try no carbs after 6pm to start. Don't worry about the fat content of things too much, turns out that is a myth propagated by the sugar industry.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Yep, it has to be the daily focus, and most important thing. All things have to happen, AFTER you take care of yourself, so that means up in the morning and to the gym, and for meals you drive out of your way, spend more $$, or take longer to eat so you stay on a healthy, weight-reducing diet. Its the only answer. The good news is, you can do all these things, and satisfy all the other responsibilities in life to your family, your employer, and all others. It may mean a little less time watching TV, spending a little more money, less time on SOTW...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can you use a bike for transportation? Back when I used to have to commute in to the office, I road my bike, so that my workout was built into my regular routine. If commuting by bike is not viable, maybe try using your bike for running errands?
Alternatively you can set up a stationary bike in front of a TV/computer. Half an hour of pedaling goes by before you know it when you are busy doing email, responding to posts like this, or watching TV. Of course the challenge is forcing yourself to start in the first place.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Any kind of short term dieting is going to fail if you think you can still consume in large quantities the rest of the time. Intermittent fasting makes some people develop more fat, rather than less.
Yeah, the folks eating bowls of Alfredo sauce followed by tapioca puddings for dessert are probably less likely to experience its benefits.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,464 Posts
Running works for me.
At least when my back isn’t playing up.
30 mins of running will shed more than most gym workouts and it does wonders for your cardio.
Which will do wonders for your air support.
A couple of years ago I started with a simple app called couch to 5 K’s.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am fighting the weight battle now. Have been for last year and half. Gradually lost 28lbs so far. It's all about portion control, watching the carbohydrates, and regular exercise of some kind, and identifying and fixing your bad eating and drinking habits. For me, it was snacking at night, too many soft drinks, too many carbohydrates, too many sweets, and not exercising. it's a daily battle. I had to give up sugar totally. it was the main culprit in my gaining back lost weight.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,362 Posts
Add 30-60 minutes of moderate activity and stop eating processed foods. We’re all busy. We all have 30-60 minutes. The weight will regulate over time and you’ll have more energy right away.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
As much as you enjoy practicing in the morning, using that time to exercise is the key....I hit the gym with a trainer 2 days, swim 4 days, baseball on sunday....if you get in the morning exercise habit, you will likely find you have a lot more energy the rest of the day...someone mentioned getting away from processed food, that's a geat idea...it has to become a daily habit to be effective....

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,347 Posts
My wife and I joined the Medifast program. It took me 5 months to drop 30 lb. Then there was a full year of maintenance, where I'd weigh in weekly and have a 15-20 minute counseling session with a nutritionist. After 2 years I've kept the weight off. Well most of it. I've gained back 5 lbs but I'm working on it. You can lose weight without working out but exercise does increase muscle mass and increased muscle mass causes the metabolism to speed up. Like practicing your instrument, if you want to improve you have to find a way to work it into life as part of your weekly schedule. A short run before work or 30 minutes in the gym after work 3 or 4 days a week is doable even when you don't feel like it. Making the commitment to yourself is the hard part. I think there's a lot of power in getting someone else to do it with you. A spouse or a work friend. Make sure you tell other people what you're doing. It helps to apply the peer pressure on yourself. Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

By the way, after losing the 30 lbs. my A1C (blood sugar) levels went back to normal. Goodbye diabetes. Blood pressure dropped to normal and I cut the amount of Lipitor for cholesterol in half. And my wife looks great after dropping 35 lbs. We both had to buy all new wardrobe. That was pricey but worth it. I'm wearing 32 inch pants again, just like in high school, 50 years ago.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,347 Posts
A low carb/high protein and fiber diet has helped me whenever I can follow through with it - try no carbs after 6pm to start. Don't worry about the fat content of things too much, turns out that is a myth propagated by the sugar industry.
Agree! Turns out the research saying we should avoid fats and eat more carbs was 180 degrees wrong. High protein, low carbs is the way to go. Read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat". He's got a lot of good things to say. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2aj6a7ugs5_e

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,854 Posts
I suspect that losing weight for me is far easier than for most... and it's still really hard. Part of it is that it's such a painfully slow process... painful if you need to lose 20-30 pounds and I really sympathize with people who need to lose 50 or more pounds and get discouraged.

I would suggest a "continuous quality improvement" approach to improving your diet. Get rid of the worst culprits first - any non-water drinks, junk food, etc. Gradually modify your diet to replace crappy foods with healthier ones and to gradually reduce your calorie intake. Give yourself six months or a year to make real progress.

Starving yourself is not the answer, because that can't be sustained. You have to figure out a way to permanently modify your lifestyle and eating habits if you want to permanently shed extra wait.

Good luck! For most of us it's a difficult and losing battle.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts