Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing in the pit band (for fun only) of a Vaudeville-style show, and one of the biggest money-makers for the organizers is the sale of popcorn. One reason they make so much money on it is that most of it ends up flying through the air. So I had to come up with a way to keep the nightly flying handfuls of popcorn out of my horn.

Here's what the pit usually looks like at the end of the night:
View attachment 28520

And here's what I came up with:
View attachment 28521

It's a circle of plastic canvas (as used for embroidery) held onto the bell by slit clear rubber tubing. I cut the circle and the tubing myself. The plastic canvas is available in a large assortment of colors at most arts&crafts stores. I only spent about $2 on materials, and 20 minutes of time. The concave shape is a happy accident that actually lends it some strength. It's not permanently attached, so cleaning is still easy.

It has no effect at all on the tone or intonation of the horn. A handful of popcorn (such as one audience member tried to shove directly into the bell) would certainly have an adverse effect.

Here's more about the event itself: http://www.summermummers.com

Posted just in case maybe one other sax player in this world has to deal with this hazard.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
It has no effect at all on the tone or intonation of the horn. A handful of popcorn (such as one audience member tried to shove directly into the bell) would certainly have an adverse effect.
Oh I beg to differ it has a tremendous effect on the tone and especially the intonation.

Why I had one made out of metal mesh and the tone was brighter than the plastic.

Now the gold ones give a richer tone and the silver ones are nice but some opt for the regular lacquer.

What?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I don't have any trouble with getting popcorn in the bell. Broken beer bottles are another matter however....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
That's a bit silly if not extreme, why not just tip your bell occasionally.

Now I'm off to a performance where the last time I performed at the venue a couple of babes' tossed up some roses on stage to me!

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
A problem with things tossed in the bell? Oh really...

You haven't lived until you've played a sousaphone in a high school pep band. Soda cans and the occasional half a hot dog were the least of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
Geeze, girls would have just cut the feet from an old pair of panty hose.
Cool idea though....

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
+1
My immediate reaction was "why not just use panty hose?", but I didn't feel like having to answer questions about why a bachelor like myself would have an extra pair of panty hose lying around. :mrgreen:
The last beautiful young lady to spend the night forgot them? :)

Really if you have a wife/ex wife, sisters, girl cousins, girlfriend/ex girlfriend, a MOM, you know about panty hose.

·
8,588 Posts
... and harder to explain as a single male. Not that I would know about such things....

Also, they don't do much for keeping broken glass out....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
The last beautiful young lady to spend the night forgot them? :)
Actually, I started collecting panty hose when I was in the Army 35 years ago. No...Seriously! Nothing puts a better shine on a pair of (old style) combat boots than buffing them with a nylon stocking. People (even some of my Commanders) tried to accuse me of having *Corfam* boots and dress shoes because they were always so shiny. It was a trick my father taught me from when he was the Commander of a Color Guard unit during the Korean conflict. Of course, discarded panty hose have hundreds of other uses too...like hanging yourself after sharing too much information on the internet. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,332 Posts
I should've had one of those things on my bari bell the night a drunk tried to play basketball with pretzels.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
A stocking and wire coat hanger makes an excellent microphone pop screen but they don't make wire coat hangers anymore.
a 6" embroidery hoop works better than the coat hanger.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I find that my saxes usually play better with junk in the bell. Dirty saxes and crusty mouthpieces often play better too. Go figure....

·
8,588 Posts
That's the vintage horn thing -- particularly useful with vintage baris. Bring on the popcorn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
You could find a really old pair of panty hose (your grandma's?) for that vintage sound... much more expensive, of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts