Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a late-model Silversonic tenor with the original case. The case is very tatty, with parts of the wooden ends exposed where the outer material has come away. I don't have the keys, and the catches are very stiff to engage. But the case is rigid and once you've got the catches to close, they stay closed OK. But these old cases don't offer much in the way of protection, and the horn would easily rattle around inside.

I have only used one horn at a time until now, so I've only needed one serviceable case, swapping my two horns between it (and only using the King case at home). But I've need to move both horns at once now, so I've decided to get another case for carrying the silversonic. The King case is now completely redundant.

My question is; if I'm ever forced into having to sell on the silversonic, how much if anything is the original case going to add to its value? And do tatty old cases on their own fetch much? In other words, how much does the space it takes up have to be worth to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
591 Posts
In my experience the original case doesn't add too much value, however a decent modern case won't either. So if you should ever want to sell it I consider it wiser money-wise to keep the old case, than sell it in the new one later on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think if I HAD to sell, I'd probably buy a cheap case for selling if it needed one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
So if you should ever want to sell it I consider it wiser money-wise to keep the old case, than sell it in the new one later on.
You mean, keep the new case for another horn and sell the sax with its original case, don't you?

I keep all of my vintage horns in more protective modern cases. I've only kept the original cases if the horns themselves were otherwise original and might appeal to a collector should I ever sell them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts