Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Own brand Soprano / Martin Stencil Alto / Martin Handcraft I Tenor / O'Malley Bari
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice, should I pay like around $500 to restore my non-playing condition Buescher True Tone Alto OR buy a playable Martin Alto to replace it for less than $500?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dunno where you're located, but every time I see a Martin for sale locally, the condition is highly suspect. I would be worried about picking up a Martin in "playable" condition, only to find out it needs an overhaul after all. I personally love the Buescher TT, so if it were me, I'd fix it up and keep playing it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When "I" finally I finally played my True-Tone after its restoration I was in semi-disbelief at the warmth & richness of its tone which just seemed to fill each and every void of the house - awesome. While Martin certainly made some fabulous saxophones it (the Martin) would require a thorough appraisal by a competent technician. Martin also soldered the tone holes onto the saxophone body rather than drawing them (eg: drawn tone holes) which is another avenue of potential issues. The T-T is worthy of your investment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,231 Posts
Advice, should I pay like around $500 to restore my non-playing condition Buescher True Tone Alto OR buy a playable Martin Alto to replace it for less than $500?
Which TT do you have?

A second option would be to sell your TT, buy another in better condition, then get it overhauled.

Once you start down that path, get the horn you really want, and get it restored to top playing condition.

·
Registered
Own brand Soprano / Martin Stencil Alto / Martin Handcraft I Tenor / O'Malley Bari
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which TT do you have?

A second option would be to sell your TT, buy another in better condition, then get it overhauled.

Once you start down that path, get the horn you really want, and get it restored to top playing condition.
I have a The Buescher 172xxx - I am sweet on Martin's and Kings more. My favorite Buescher is the Aristocrat with the railroad track key rails. But I am looking at a Troubadour right now that needs no work done to it and is selling for $500

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno where you're located, but every time I see a Martin for sale locally, the condition is highly suspect. I would be worried about picking up a Martin in "playable" condition, only to find out it needs an overhaul after all. I personally love the Buescher TT, so if it were me, I'd fix it up and keep playing it.
I'm in New Jersey. My Martin Imperial I found at Sam Ash here and it is definitely playable and they have others playable to and aside from that offer 30 days free service on it if it is not playable they have to make it playable if I bring it back within that time...I was quoted the TT would cost about $500 to repair although I may seek out another tech's opinion because I think that is way too much. I don't feel the TT needs an overhaul because I can play it, it just has a few leaks (is what it feels like to me) but I don't own a leak light anymore (I need to order one soon).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When "I" finally I finally played my True-Tone after its restoration I was in semi-disbelief at the warmth & richness of its tone which just seemed to fill each and every void of the house - awesome. While Martin certainly made some fabulous saxophones it (the Martin) would require a thorough appraisal by a competent technician. Martin also soldered the tone holes onto the saxophone body rather than drawing them (eg: drawn tone holes) which is another avenue of potential issues. The T-T is worthy of your investment.
Then I really need to find another repair shop because this guy said don't do it (the expenditure is not worth it) in his opinion. Over all, I paid $200 for the TT and if I spend $500 on it that comes to $700 and I know there's plenty of other Bueschers, Kings, and Martins that can be had for $700 or less...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much did it cost you to get it that way? Even though the TT are worthy of being played, they lack holding their value which is really strange to me if you have a playable condition one that's not all dented up.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When I got my T-T it was green and all the springs were rusty - so I pulled them all out. This added to the costs which here in Australia was $1450.oo AUD - about $200 more than usual. I had another 1926 T-T alto refurbished a few years ago - fabulous specimen - that resto cost $995 AUD and the horn was a gift.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,224 Posts
A True Tone alto has been my go to alto for over sixteen years now. Sold my SBA once I got used to it. Thing is though, mine is a later model, silver plated and with the front F/roller G# and an Aristocrat neck. I wouldn't want a 172,XXX alto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts