Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Joke. I was driving with my girls today and "Last Friday Night" came on.

I said "Wow, that's a pretty good sax solo"

They said "Dad, that's Kenny G"

I said "No way is that Kenny G"

and they said "it is Dad, he's on the video"

I said "Just cause he's on the video doesn't mean he played it. There is no way that that is Kenny G, it sounds more like Lenny Pickett"

I got home and looked it up online................Lenny Pickett. My girls were impressed!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,566 Posts
Haven't seen the video, but I wonder what Lenny thinks about Kenny G being in a video for a song he plays on...

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
It's bad enough that she can't sing, but to apply the same autotune guy to Lenny Pickett is just unforgiveable. Her along with Cher and many others ought to be jailed for autotune crimes against humanity. The fact that this talentless set of boobs on legs has equalled Micheal Jackson in any record shows the state of the music industry. No mattter how you look at it, it's just bloody sad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Lenny may not care, but how about the balls on Kenny, pretending to play somebody elses solo.

·
4,344 Posts
Why? It certainly gives it a different sound. And there is plenty of non autotuned lenny pickett out there to hear.
Because (IMO) I find autotune in any context aurally offensive. It allows people with no talent to succeed based on looks and relegates real people with real talent that have worked hard for years to bedroom jams. If you cant sing, dont.

·
3,287 Posts
Another thing that should be banned is the vocoder.

The vocoders been overused ever since Cher's Believe In Love thing or whatever it was.

·
3,875 Posts
Another thing that should be banned is the vocoder.

The vocoders been overused ever since Cher's Believe In Love thing or whatever it was.
That wasn't a vocoder. That was autotune. Up until that point, autotune was used with settings that allowed for a not so noticeable shift into the note. It has a setting that allows you to change how long it takes to slide from one note to another. On that song, they set that time parameter to zero so the shift was instantaneous and it made Cher sound like a robot. It was that song that set off the abuse of the effect.

In the immediate aftermath of the song becoming a hit, the producers, in an effort to keep the real cause of the effect a secret, claimed that they used a Digitech vocoder pedal but that was just a smokescreen.

·
3,287 Posts
Shows how out of date I am.

I stopped listening to commercial radio decades ago.

Autotune and vocoders should be banned IMO.

·
3,875 Posts
Shows how out of date I am.

I stopped listening to commercial radio decades ago.

Autotune and vocoders should be banned IMO.
I think people have gotten on will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas for using autotune and his defense has been that he's not using autotune, he's using a vocoder. I'm with you, I'm not a fan of either. Although in the case of the Black Eyed Peas, it's probably better than the alternative.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If I were Lenny, I'd be offended; no, ripped off at having the video show Kenny G playing air sax over Lenny's music, thereby taking the credit for Lenny's playing.
But I'm not Lenny, and he can probably afford a lawyer if he wasn't compensated for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
How about "The Case of the Disappearing Solo." CBS edited out a Michael Brecker solo in a Michael Bolton video of Georgia on my Mind and replaced it with one by Kenny G. Brecker was not pleased.

The Brecker solo starts at 2:43

The Kenny G version:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Because (IMO) I find autotune in any context aurally offensive. It allows people with no talent to succeed based on looks and relegates real people with real talent that have worked hard for years to bedroom jams. If you cant sing, dont.
sure, but what's that got to do with using it on lenny pickett? It was obviously just and aesthetic choice.

And really, image has driven pop music since long before autotune. Why waste all that energy hating?

·
4,344 Posts
sure, but what's that got to do with using it on lenny pickett?

It made his otherwise good tone sound like a synth, why ruin a perfectly good saxohpone sound when what you wanted was a keytar solo? Hire an 80's keytar player
It was obviously just and aesthetic choice.
A choice to cater to the sheep that have gotten used to being fed robotic cloaks which hide reality

And really, image has driven pop music since long before autotune. Why waste all that energy hating?
I think I covered that earlier, before autotune, singers at least had to be able get close to an ability to sing - and possibly have a "look". Now lack of talent is irrelavent - it all gets hidden with this garbage on top. There's a great youtube of what Katy Perry really sounds like live (at the Grammys or some such) it's woeful.

I dont think it's a waste of energy, I'm passionate about music and always have been. These talentless boobs on legs bimbos coupled with that horrid (hijacked term) "[email protected]" has dumbed down music for zombified sheep punters and it makes me sad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I can believe record companies would do ANYTHING if it meant making more money.

But it's sad to believe Kenny G would be involved in anything that even remotely made it look like he was playing a piece actually played by another artists. I mean, that not only makes Kenny G look like a bad person, but it also makes him look like he's it not capable of playing a decent solo for this song. And even if Kenny was that bad person, it's seems like his ego would stop him from being perceived as someone that lacked ability to the point that he had to have someone else play his solo for him.

This is just wrong no matter how you slice it. :(

·
3,875 Posts
I get why they did it. They were putting random "celebrities" in the video to make it fun. Rebecca Black in a song about Friday? Corey Feldman making a "Lost Boys" reference and Debbie Gibson playing his wife? Hanson? They wanted a sax player and they wanted somebody recognizable and lets face it, the only two sax players that the general public can recognize on sight are Lisa Simpson and Kenny G. Clarence Clemmons might have fit into that category as well. Relatively speaking, nobody knows who Lenny is. I'm not even sure if people would recognize him as "that guy from SNL". So if they were going to put a sax player in this video, I get why they'd want it to be Kenny G.

But if I'm Kenny, I'm not sure I do it. I'd feel very awkward about miming somebody elses solo. I'm sure they sold him on it by telling him it's not about the solo, it's about the visual and throwing another random celebrity thrown into the mix to make it more fun. They call him "Uncle Kenny". But I'd still have problems with it. As Steve can attest, people are understandably getting the impression that Kenny is one who's actually playing and giving him credit for somebody elses work and that's just wrong.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,474 Posts
I really don't understand the problem here. I am sure that Mr. Pickett was compensated and knew exactly what was going to happen. Its Hollywood, not The Blue Note NYC. It is supposed to entertain and it seems it is working quite well here. I think the video is hilarious, and since its light entertainment I wouldn't take offense.

Kudos to Lenny for grabbing his bank from Hollyweird.

B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts