Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I ended up in an acid jazz group where some of the members turned me on to The Greyboy Allstars featuring Karl Denson on sax/flute.

A lot of the pros that I know don't have any idea who this cat is, and (IMO), this dude is a serious bad***. It gave me sort of a different way of thinking about phrasing my rhythms in a little more unpredictable way when playing funk.

If you ever get a chance, several tunes to check out on their "LIVE" album are "Jack Rabbit", "Tenor Man", "Check Out Your Mind", and "Toys R Us."

Anyone else listen to these guys?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love 'em! The Greyboy Allstars have a new release scheduled for April 17th. I think that it is entitled "What's on TV?". They have one studio album and one live album that were released several years ago. Carl D is definitely underrated. Catch him live...it is a musical party! He also has several releases under his band, Carl Densen and Tiny Universe. Solid line-up of great musicians. The occasional lyrics added to some songs take away a little, but overall, he creates some great music.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Karl D. was a big reason I took up the sax. Used to catch him and the Greyboy Allstars at the Casbah, Belly Up Tavern, Winston's in OB, Catamaran... tried to see them as much as possible when I lived in San Diego mid to late 90s. Great, great stuff. And Elgin Park (guitar) was too cool for school.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I saw Karl Denson on STUDIO JAMS with Chris Thile and Steve Kimock, and a killer drummer and bass player -- one of my favorites Studio Jam sessions.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
One of my favorite Studio Jams too! His approach to Steve Kimock's Tongue N' Groove was very different that his current GB All-stars funk approach.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Ed,
I've not heard of them - just wanted to say that it's good seeing you around here!

[/hijack]

·
Registered
45 Posts
dstack79 said:
Karl Denson was the sax player who played the solo on Lenny Kravitz's song/album "Let Love Rule". very tasty...
I've been trying to find a transcription of this (the "Let Love Rule" solo) for a while, even though it is probably beyond my chops at this point. He's really awesome. Theres' a lot his playing (plus an appearance by Maceo!) on this DVD:
"Earth vs. Radiators: First 25 Years"

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive just been introduced to karl Denson and I'm pretty sure i decided to overhaul my playing. I've been out of the practice room for a while but ive been itchin to get back to it, especially now that i have some more time.

basically i was wonderin if anyone had some pointers for Karl's style, mainly theory wise. Or any transcriptions of his work with the Greyboy Allstars. I would love to get that style under my fingers so i can progress as a player but its hard for me to get off the ground. if anyone knows of some stuff to help me out, id greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Karl Denson was a big reason I also got into saxophone.

In high school, I went to catch a Dave Matthews Band concert & Karl Denson's Tiny Universe was opening up. The guy can really play - the studio track of "Because of Her Beauty" has a nasssttty tenor solo :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Heck yeah!

I've seen Karl and the Allstars twice and have a bunch of albums.

Those guys cook! Hope to see them when they come a bit closer, but the VT show may be a possibility...

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I used to play a lot with the trumpet player from KDTU. Funky band. Saw them here in Boston not long ago. With the exception of the horrid stench of patchouli coming off the crowd it was very cool.

·
Registered
247 Posts
With the exception of the horrid stench of patchouli coming off the crowd it was very cool.
baaah ha ha ha ha ha !!

oh, mercy. same deal when i saw kdtu in portland, maine. great show, gnasty hippie-waft. patchoulli is NOT a viable substitute for semi-regular bathing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's cool that some of you cite Karl as the reason you picked up the sax. As for me, I'll blame him if I ever buy a flute. Does he make that thing sound hip, or what?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts